Revision of gastric by pass

doughgirl59
on 7/13/10 2:04 pm - New Baltimore, MI
I had gastric by pass surgery 6 years ago. I didn't loose all my weight. I only lost about 70 pounds. I continued to take all diabetic meds. I am going in next week for a revision. They are doing in laproscopic. He will be removing 4 more inches of intestine and the lower part of my pouch. I am excited but nervous that I won't loose the excess weight. Has anyone had this done?
shele
on 7/14/10 12:14 am

well sort of? What will your common channel length be? 

Mine is 120, but pouch was untouched, I did not loose what i needed, and still have problems with my pouch burning and even hurtng at times.

www.dsfscts.com

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Monique H.
on 7/14/10 2:17 am
If you still have a lot of weight to lose I wouldn't do it. Research first. Research all surgeries. If you only lost 70 pounds before and you were compliant and had a lot of weight to lose you may have other issues going on. When you say remove the lower part of your pouch do you mean remove it completely from your stomach or cut a portion of it off? Also after this amount of time your body should be well adjusted to your first surgery, so what would bypassing 4 more inches really do. How much of a common channel would this leave you with. I would have to have all these answers before moving forward. I was reading an article I think on the department of medical healthcare (I think that's the name of the department that does reviews to denials from insurance plans) and it said that for someone who has a lot of weight to lose that revising to the distal rny isn't any good basically. I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it for you. Good luck to you on whatever you decide.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 2:15 am, edited 7/16/10 2:16 am
I agree - the important thing will be to really figure out why the RNY didn't work for you. If it was an issue with compliance, I also don't see what 4 more inches is going to do. That's vry little difference in terms of malabsorption. While you may have a little more restriction with a slightly smaller pouch, it's really important to figure out what you were doing with the original surgery that the weight loss was so low, and maybe try to tackle that. I do agree with the previous poster in that the studies do show very little difference in terms of weight loss based on pouch size or length of intestine bypassed. The published studies to day show no difference. Success is based more on compliance than pouch size or length of intestine bypassed.

The most important thing, even if you go forward with this surgery, is to look into your heart and habits and maybe consider some counseling if you can, to find out what happened the first time around. Unless a revision is due to something technically wrong with the first surgery, they typically don't work, unless you go a lot more drastic, like a DS. If the reason for the lack of weight loss is not changing your habits long-term, only doing that will work. You may be able to do that without the risk of a revision surgery if your surgery is still patent and intact.

It's such a hard journey, for all of us. Good luck!
StacysMom
on 7/26/10 6:03 am
 Sounds to me like your revision will merely be "refreshing" what didn't work for you in the first place.  It sounds like you need a more metabolic surgery, like the DS, in order to lose more of your excess weight.  

You may want to do more research and find an MD who performs the DS surgery, as those doctors who don't have any experience with it, will ALWAYS recommend some type of surgery that they DO perform.  

I know your surgeon must not perform the DS because a DS surgeon would never just refresh an RNY which never worked for the patient in the first place.  They would convert you to a different type of surgery, most probably the DS, but not always.

Another option you can consider is the BOB (Band Over Bypass).  It would refresh your restriction and is less invasive than messing around again with your intestines.  Like someone else here mentioned - taking off only 4 inches is nothing!   That's not going to give you very much malabsorption and there's a lot of cutting and stitching/stapling involved from which you will have to heal.
Most Active