Confused

terilynn112
on 7/10/10 1:33 am - maryland, NY
I went to the new patient orientation (which in my surgeon's office is required). During which they talked about they were now starting to do DS. I was totally set on having the RNY, now I'm questioning. I know my insurance will pay for either, as long as it's a center of excellence. It is. What are the pro's and cons of each? I'm confused. I have had problems from day one with the band. Never did find my sweet spot. Either it was wide open and I'm not loosing (but not gaining either) or it's shut. I am very sensitive to the fluid changes of my body in regards to the band. Stresses shut me down.

Any suggestions? Any information is appreciated.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

M M
on 7/10/10 7:20 am
 If you can get it paid for - seriously look at the DS.
KyleBeth
on 7/10/10 11:27 am - Erie, PA
I do not have the DS myself but wish I did!!!

Do your research.... Post on the DS messageboard if you'd like. DS has a higher success rate than RNY. I believe you lose more and maintain it.

You are sooooo lucky to have an option like this!!! Awesome!! 
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
Debbie M.
on 7/11/10 6:56 am
I had an RNY from 2002-2010 and revised in February to a DS.  Very different lifestyles.  I lost weight FAST with the RNY but it didn't stay off.  Also had bad problems with diarrhea and of course dumping.

For me, the DS has been a much more normal lifestyle.  The runs are gone, if I'm craving something sweet I can have a bit and not get sick.  I eat lots of protein and some veges.  I take more vitamins but it's a small trade.

In 2002 the DS was so new and there wasn't much information on it, I felt it was so extreme and thought I was being wiser by going with the RNY.  My BMI was 54, if I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it. 

Whatever you choose, hopefully you'll be able to cut once and not twice like I did.  Not sure if you've already done this but you might want to check out www.dsfacts.com.
Best of luck in your journey,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

pycca
on 7/11/10 12:01 pm - Haslet, TX
I had  lap band in 2006 and just had revision to DS in Dec of 2009

BEST thing I ever did !!!  Still groggy from surgery, I could swallow, and it has been better and beter as time goes by!  I can eat any food in any form, and no issues  other than the thngs that happen during recovery that some do or don't experience...

Research at DSFACTS.COM 

Debi

LisaAnn
on 7/15/10 4:02 pm - WA
I also recommend the DS. I had a revision from VBG (Old fashioned stomach stapling....ICK) to the DS, and I have to say, life has never been better.

You should do your research and really look into the DS, especially if it is covered by your insurance. But I do recommend doing your research so you know what lifestyle your surgery of choice will require!

Good luck to you!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active