Band revision...to?? HELP!

KikiK
on 7/9/10 12:47 am - Boston, MA
I had my band for 5 years and it was removed last Nov. due to really bad heartburn and reflux.  I got aspiration pneumonia 2x.  I lost about 100 lbs with it but I was miserable!  Even when it was empty, I was choking on fluid in my sleep (not food related).
Since then, I have gained 60lbs.

So, I need another surgery and Harvard Pilgrim does not cover sleeve and I would prefer that over bypass.  I am so nervous to have bypass...

2nd- the doctor says he has to do it as an open procedure because of all the scar tissue on my abdomen.  (another thing making me super nervous)  Did your doc do it open and what was the recovery time?

So if anyone can offer any reassurance or guidance, that would make me feel a LOT better!!!

Former successful band-er: lost 80 lbs until it slipped.
RNY on 12/7/11

mrlddst
on 7/9/10 3:21 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Eck...now you have me worried. I am revising to a VSG at the end of this month. I had my band removed in Nov and at that time I was told that I had so much scar tissue that they could hardly get it off. I really hope it doesn't become an open procedure.

I don't know what to tell you on the GB thing since ultimately its your decision. I went to a pre-op support meeting last night and they said that open procedures mean longer hospital stays and longer recovery times. A GB patient said she was out 8 weeks with an open procedure.
MsBatt
on 7/10/10 8:56 am
Do they cover the DS? The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus some malabsorption. You'd get to keep your stoma, and your DS surgeon could 'tailor' your common channel to a length suitable for your BMI/longterm goals.
crteacher
on 7/10/10 10:24 am - Salem, NH
I am having my band out and RNY on Monday. Today is the day I really started to get nervous.  RNY was my option with the center where I go and with my doctor whom I am very comfortable with.
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

karenh1127
on 7/11/10 1:18 am - Deer Park, TX
I too have had the band for 5 yrs and I lost weight too but mostly because I threw everything up except soups and soft stuff.  I have no fill and am still super tight so reflux was an issue.  My doc is doing rny (Aug 3) because my problem is not just eating a small amount, hence small pouch but I need something with malabsorption because I eat the wrong things.  I asked about the sleeve and he said it is mostly done on men.??  But I trust him so will go with rny.

pycca
on 7/11/10 12:12 pm - Haslet, TX
heck out the DSFACTS.COM   Beat thing I ever did when getting rid of my lapband !!!

I can have most foods, no dumping, still have pyloris which regulates your tummy and can take most meds needed,

KikiK
on 7/11/10 10:23 pm - Boston, MA
Thanks!  I will look into DS.  He doesn't do them and I have been with him for 6 years now and I trust him so much.  Perhaps I should look for a new doctor...

RNY on 12/7/11

KikiK
on 7/11/10 10:26 pm - Boston, MA
Seems like so many band problems...

RNY on 12/7/11

jenrich
on 7/14/10 5:41 pm - Bridgeport, TX
I also have had the band for about 5 yrs and had nothing but problems out of it and rarely lost weight even with the fills because I would put extra butter ect on my food just so it wouldnt get stuck.. I go on Friday for my first consultation for the GB.. I dont know what the DS is? I just want something permenate that will help me always the lap band made me feel like a toal failure and I really hope this works for me. Just go with what makes you feel comfortable I decided last Friday when my mom had major heart surgery that it was time for me to do something about all my extra baggage. Good luck to you I wish u the best...

~Jennie~

charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 2:04 am
I had a revision from band to RNY and it was literally the best thing I ever did. I lost all my excess weight in one year and have kept it off for 2 more. There is no comparison between band and bypass. Bypass is SO much better. It honestly was the best thing I ever did. I wish I had picked it first. Don't be afraid of RNY. Unless you're going to go with a DS, I think the bypass is better than the sleeve, but I wouldn't have done well with a restrictive only procedure (it's just restrictive, just like the band). Either go with RNY or go all the way to DS. Don't be afraid of bypass. I honestly think the band is more dangerous long-term.
Most Active