distal or erny outcomes

mew6495
on 7/10/10 6:04 am - MI
I had an ERNY revision in October 2008 from a previous RNY in 2001.  My CC was made to 75 CM. I am currently at 121 lbs, 4 lbs below my goal.  My labs have been good.  There is a lot of maintenance with the ERNY.  Meaning, you must be very diligent with your vitamins which usually mean an increased amount and of the "dry" version.  Protein is the same, you will have to increase the levels to stay within range.  Due to my work schedule, I regret saying I don't get much time to exercise, so this was not a factor one way or the other in my weight loss or keeping it off.

Your decision should depend on what you are willing to live with for the rest of your life.  If you are not very good at keeping up on your vitamins and protein then the ERNY/Distal is not for you. Research all revision kinds and make sure you do your homework.  I can not stress how important it is to become educated before making your final choice as it is a personal one, and one only  you can make.  As others have said there are some who have had issues with the ERNY and then there are others who have been successful.  I have lost a total of about 74 lbs after my ERNY.

Good luck to you in what ever you decide. 

brendastar11
on 7/10/10 8:34 am - PITTSGROVE, NJ
thank you,and everyone for information ,and good wishes it has helped me very much.

MsBatt
on 7/10/10 8:50 am
Be sure to talk with Vitalady---she's been living with a distal RNY for over 16 years now. She *became* Vitalady because she had so very MANY vitamin issues and had no surgeon/PCP/nutritionist who knew enough about her ERNY to help her.
brendastar11
on 7/10/10 8:55 am - PITTSGROVE, NJ
I know she is amazing,and she looks wonderful.
MsBatt
on 7/10/10 9:21 am
She is, and she does. But she'll tell you in a heartbeat that it's been a real struggle to achieve the health she has today.
vitalady
on 7/11/10 4:34 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I don't regret my distal rny. After all, I am alive to whine about the lack of info i***** right? It was the only choice offered to me then and our nutrition advice was VERY ahead (of any today, actually) back in those days.

Finding what we were told to take, however, that WAS a challenge. Dry A, D, E? Really? Who ever heard of such a thing. Our doses were considered high i***** today, high in most WLS programs, but in the scheme of what we need (poof) speck of dust.

I have 100cm common channel. I consider much shorter to be approaching a death sentence without a lil OCD mixed into your genetic code.

Be sure to find out exactly what he plans to do. As far as I know, only one doc calls his ERNY, vs distal RNY.

And some who commented may have LLP, long limb proximal, not an actual distal rny. Distal and ERNY are, like DS, measured by common channel. Long limb proximals are measured by amount bypassed.

In my area, converting SLP (short limb) to LLP was big business. Bypass another 100 cm, leaving a common channel of 12 feet vs 15 feet? Heck yeah. Of course, that makes almost no difference. I didn't see anyone lose or keep much wt off with a revision from a useless proximal RNY to a slightly less useless RNY. (not to say that ALL are useless!). So, when gathering opinions, are the speakers referring to amount bypassed or common channel?

And as someone said, if you're not going to let the supplements rule your life, don't even go there.

I don't mind, since I rather thrive on structure. It's fine with me to take supps in several batches per day, as it regulates my food intake, as well.

My fabulous labs are no accident, for sure. And I say that much as you would about getting a good grade on your report card that you worked hard to get. Of course, with my doc, a bad report card, oooooooooo, bad. LOL Tweaking is fine. If all the numbers crash at once, it hurts. It hurts from the inside out, then he burns your ears off.

Not Dr. Fox, but Dr. Oh. LOL

Outcome, aside from being long dead had I not been so fascinated with the hows and why's of supplementation, my dh and I have both held a reasonable wt, as long as we stay away from sugar. Dabble in sugar, gain wt. Such a simple formula.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active