distal or erny outcomes

brendastar11
on 7/8/10 2:07 pm - PITTSGROVE, NJ
I would love to hear from anyone having a revision from rny to a distal rny or erny with good outcomes.

shele
on 7/8/10 10:55 pm

Does that mean you don't want to hear from  the not so good ??? I don't believe you will get many good outcome replies...

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

brandlin23
on 7/9/10 4:20 am - Ft. Wainwright, AK
I am having mine done on Tuesday and I will let you know how things go for me. The concensus on this board is that ERNY is not the best surgery. There is even a very nice lady who had it done and then had it revised to a DS because the ERNY was HORRIABLE for her. She can give you a lot of information about what it was like for her.
Despite saying this, I am having the ERNY. There is a thread not too long ago where I had posted my decision about an ERNY and due to peoples opinions, thoughts, and genuine concerns, I was asked to reconsider my choice, which I am not. I feel as though you might not get a response (good or bad) because although I know the intentions of the people on this board is to help, it scares the hell out of some of us that have choosen ERNY to post.
Understand that a lot of people on this board support DS, so if it is an option for you, research it and go with what is best for you. Keep in mind that people on this board are passionate about DS. Take what they and others have to say, research what is best for you, practice a little tolerance for those who might disagree with you, and stick to whatever decision you decide. Everyone here is genuinely very nice and have good things to say, so I hope you get the support you are looking for here!!
shele
on 7/9/10 11:03 am

I hate for anyone to be afraid to post.  Please don't feel that way!  This is for support, and no matter what anyone decides no one should feel degraded because of their surgery choice.  I am sorry if I have made anyone feel that way about posting..  BUT I am glad if I have made even one person question their surgery choice and do more more research!  If you still decide erny is IT for you after you have been educated, I say GO FOR IT!

I for one was not educated! MY FAULT as I was warned.

I truly hope that it is all you need it to be!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Monique H.
on 7/9/10 5:56 am
distal rny lost 36 lbs that have stayed off. In the gym 4-6 days a week for 1.5-2 hours a day. Calories 800-1000 a day. I lost 22 pounds within the first few weeks then for months it was a real struggle to lose even a pound in a week. Am now seeking revision to ds. Will it work any better for me? Who knows. I do know that I got extremely discouraged after my distal rny. To put in the work that I was doing and not have better success was horrible. I of course now fear that the ds will not work, but if I have to continue to live my life in pain and with comorbities (sleep apnea, borderline diabetic with hypoglycemic episodes) anyway, I might as well give it a try.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
brendastar11
on 7/9/10 9:45 am - PITTSGROVE, NJ
do you know how much you were bypassed,and if your pouch was tightened,and your stoma banded? I know how you feel.its like so many do wonderful,and your afraid you'll be a failure again.good luck monique,may the Lord watch over you,and guide you to a successful journey.

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/10 10:07 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had to have the band removed from my stoma due to esophageal erosion. That was why I sought my DS revision. Think twice before going for something like that. It leads to Barrett's esophagus.
Monique H.
on 7/12/10 5:57 am
My surgeon said he bypassed another 200 cm. He did tighten the pouch, but my stoma was okay at the time. Now I had a barium swallow and found out it only paused for a second in my pouch before flowing on through to the intestines. Like they said everyone is different, but for me to have well over 100 lbs to lose and stopping at 36 is not acceptable to me. As for my journey, I'll definitely take all the prayers I can get.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
brendastar11
on 7/12/10 2:44 pm - PITTSGROVE, NJ
when i had my ugi the barium just went right through,so my surgeon said he will put a band around it.I also have a part of my intestine that hangs past my stoma which acts as a second stomach.In other words my pouch is approx 4" long and my intestine pouch is 4" long.It's like having an 8" stomach i guess.He will take care of all that,and bypass me 200-300cm he said.I hope your weight starts falling of again.You may just be at a plateau.I have over a 100lbs to lose to.good luck,and,God Bless 

StacysMom
on 7/9/10 5:18 pm
 I have been reading the boards on here for over 3 years.   The first mention of the ERNY as a revision from the RNY was in the winter of 2007.  Then quite a few people jumped on the ERNY bandwagon in 08 and 09.   The results have been mixed depending on many variables.   

Those who did the best with the ERNY  and had the least amount of complications were those who were not bypassed much to begin with - as their surgeon told them when they were opened up for the revision surgery.

Those who did not do so well health-wise were those who had their common channels made dangerously short.   They lost a good amount of their excess weight, but a few suffered a "failure to thrive" and had to have their surgeries either reversed or revised.  Some got the DS surgery which they were advised against by the surgeon who did their ERNY (probably because he didn't perform the RNY to DS revision - only a few surgeons do it).

Then there were those who only  had around 50-60 lbs to lose and were successful with the ERNY.

What any one person's outcome will be cannot be based on anyone else's experiences.   If someone was not bypassed very much during their original RNY, they may find great success with the ERNY.   It also depends on the person's expectations - if you want to lose 100+ lbs, you may be disappointed.   If you only need to lose less than 50 lbs, you may be happy with with your outcome.  

The people who were originally posting about it aren't as vocal anymore as many had physical problems or were disappointed with their outcomes.  Perhaps some of the successful ones will come on here and tell their stories. 

RNY revisioners need to remember -- if their pouch stretched out once, it will do so again.   If the villi in their intestines became more adept at absorbing nutrients and calories from the food, they will do so again.    The body adapts to the artificial restriction and malabsorption that the surgery provides.  

An important consideration in deciding on which revision to choose is the fact that the pouch takes the pyloric valve out of the digestive equation  and replaces it with a stoma which stretches out and then allows food to go through at will so one loses the feeling of fullness.  The  DS keeps the pyloric valve in play.   The DS also allows absorption of certain nutrients to take place in the sleeve stomach, which do not take place in the pouch system.   The RNY to DS  surgery holds more risks for leaks than the ERNY, as the ERNY doesn't touch the pouch.   It leaves the stretched out pouch alone and just works on the intestines for more malabsorption.   

Everyone needs to do their research and make the decision which is best for them.  And, good luck to all.
Most Active