Lap Band Surgery another failure, now looking and VSG

mzjenni
on 7/8/10 2:00 pm - Chino, CA
Hello everyone, well I have had the lap band since 2004, it slipped once and had to have it moved back up about 2 years later, now it has slipped yet again and now it has to be removed all together due to my stomach and asophagus being enlarged and inflammed. Will have to be out for 1 to 2 months before I can even consider another surgery but doctor told me that I might want to consider VSG.

Has anyone had a lap band and had a revision to VSG? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences? I am so unhappy and scared and have gained over 60 pounds back...the whole experience has made me feel like such a failure.

Any feedback would be great.

thanks a bunch.
shele
on 7/8/10 11:09 pm

Please research this for your self. Don't rely totally on your surgeons recomendations!  Your best outcome will be a surgery that you know backwards and forwards!  I truly know what you mean aout failure!  I am looking at my 3rd revision to ds.  I believe due to all that I have read, that It will be the best choice for me!

Please research!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Johanna V.
on 7/9/10 4:07 am - New York, NY
Hey I am actually in the process of getting approved for surgery. I also considered the lapband since 2006 thats what i wanted to do, however during my first consultation with the suregon and based on my situation (obese all my life) he suggested the vsg. I have researched it and it seemed that the vsg has better success less revision..you should post on the vsg board.. they are amazing there. I am set on getting the vsg wls. Depending on your suregon sometimes they know best...especially if your doc has been preforming surgeries for all types of people for 15+ years.. i agree with the post above in doing your own research. Goodluck!!
MsBatt
on 7/10/10 9:00 am
Mzjenni, how much weight do you currently need to lose? The VSG is a good surgery, but if you have a high BMI, you should research the DS (duodenal switch) as well. When comparing surgery types, the LapBand has the very worst long-term success rate, while the DS has the highest.
pycca
on 7/11/10 12:18 pm - Haslet, TX
I went from lapband to DS... there is no way you can fail with this... as a revision we loose a little slower, but not by much.  I have lost 62 in 6 months the other lady that was a virgin DS at same time as I has  lost 76 pounds....

check out DSFACTS.COM !!!!

or pm me and I will answer any questions...but you MUST I repeat MUST have an experienced REVISION surgeon to any surgery especially DS

Debi

jenrich
on 7/11/10 5:09 pm - Bridgeport, TX
I have currently had the lap-band for about 5yrs and o i hate it soooo much I am currently waiting to see the doctor this Friday and am sooo excited about trying something different but I want something that works the lap-band has not done a whole lot for me except make me feel as if I can do nothing because I try to eat healthier and it seems that all the healthy foods get stuck in my pouch and make me sick.. I dont know the difference in all the different surgerys but I guess I will find out Friday.. Wish me luck.. Does anyone have any ideas on which surgery I should lean more towards?
Road Less Travelled
on 7/16/10 1:38 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I am looking to revise also -- this band is a pain.  waiting on insurance approval from band to sleeve -- if they don't approve it then band to DS
mzjenni
on 7/13/10 4:58 pm - Chino, CA
Thank you so much for the feedback ladies. I haven't really looked at the DS yet. I think I will look at that too and do my research. There are so many more options now a days and I want to make sure that I don't overlook anything this time.

I appreciate all of you as you can't find this kind of honest feedback anywhere else.

Take care everyone and good luck on your journies.

HUGS
-Jen
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! 

Most Active