How much weight did you lose with your RNY Revision?

stillhopefull
on 7/9/10 10:01 am
 RNY in 2002 and lost 182 lbs.  Regained 85 lbs and now looking into revision to DS  Best of luck to you and do your research.  Different surgeries for different people. 
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
mskay
on 7/10/10 5:12 am - chicago, IL
my friend had what they call a revision from having the RNY 8 years ago. because she gained back 80lbs of the 120 she lost. he went in and removed her hernia an shaved her pound back down to where it was 8 years ago. so im assuming her stomach is where it was from the begining she has only lost 26lbs since april 27th and she's very upset.
hollyberries
on 7/10/10 11:10 am - Carver, MA
I am a revsion from Band to RNY and I have lost 58lbs since 2/1/10.  I am much much much happier with the results of the RNY.  To many difficulties with the Band.

Best of luck to you.
Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

jeanyjane
on 7/10/10 9:04 pm - Germany
Kyle Beth, it would be helpful if you told us what exactly your problems are and what your surgeon plans to do during the RNY repair. Repairing an enlarged stoma, making the puch smaller, or the bypass more distal?

If you have read here long enough, you`ll know that neither of these repair opions are that sucessful since they don`t fix the reasons why patients with a RNY are so prone to failure in the first place, or they often come with terrible side-effects, like the malnutrition probems a lot of people have after getting a revision to an ERNY with a super short common channel.

If this revision doesn`t work out, you`re worse off then you are now and a revision to a DS will be even more difficult due to the scar tissue this surgery will cause. If you can`t get a revision to a DS now, it might be an option to wait until your life allows you to get the DS.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
KyleBeth
on 7/11/10 1:06 am - Erie, PA
Thanks for responding... but i'm not getting the ERNY.  My first surgeon did my RNY incorrectly and basically I have no pouch at all. Everything I eat dumps straight into my intestines. When I had my upper GI it took 6 glasses of barium to get 1 shot of how quickly things go through me.

I argue with no one that the DS is a better surgery hands down. But if you read my post above you will see why i'm choosing this right now.

My revision surgeon does not believe in bypassing more intestines due to uncessful results and the risk of malnutrion complications. He is simply interested in fixing the hack job inside of me and making it right.

My surgeon said he was suprised I lost any weight at all with my first surgery, but suspects it because I changed my eating habits, liquid diet and the recovery from major surgery- as I lost all my weight in the first 5 months post op. I started telling my original surgeon something was wrong and he all along blamed me. He prescribe phentramine and even suggested I see a hypnotist- that is when I knew I needed a 2nd opinion and some actual tests run.

This post was simply to see the range of weight loss for revisions.... it's not something i'm counting on as I know every person is different, every surgery is different.
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
jeanyjane
on 7/12/10 1:49 am - Germany
"This post was simply to see the range of weight loss for revisions.... it's not something i'm counting on as I know every person is different, every surgery is different."

This is why I asked what your surgeon wants to do during your revision, there are so many ways to repair/revise a RNY that such a general question will bring lots of answers that have nothing to do with your specific situation. It sounds like you are a rare case and not having one of the standard RNY failure reasons - I hope all goes well and works out as you want.
lsj4csj
on 7/11/10 12:07 pm
Hello...
I had RNY in 2000. From what I hear, my situation is a little odd - BUT... As most are aware, your intestines are moved around with the RNY surgery. Well, somehow, my intestines attached themself to the side of  my stomach and created a pocket! This pocket acted as a fully fuctional stomach! Overtime, the pocket got bigger and bigger and caused the same issue you had. I would eat and the food went in and fell right out of the area that should have been my stomach -

With that being said.... I had a revision on June 30, 2010 @ 630pm!  Yes... 11 days ago! I had my original RNY surgery corrected! The Doc removed the attached intestines (my 3rd stomach), reshaped my pouch and corrected the stoma. - I wanted everything back like it was when I had it 10 years ago! Also, I had open RNY in 2000 this time it was NOT! I was in surgery for 5 hours and only spent 2 nights in the hostipal! The pain was NOTHING!! The worst pain was the air/gas trapped in my stomach. I had a LOT of scar tissue from the first surgery and they really had to blow me up to get around good! LOL!   

But... I have lost 15 pounds in 11 days.... (Only have 30 more to go LOL!) 
Good luck to you! If I can help you in anyway please send me a message.
doughgirl59
on 7/13/10 2:09 pm - New Baltimore, MI
Did you have the revision? I am scheduled to have one next week. I was looking for someone who has had it already and how successful it was.
charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 2:22 am
I had a revision from lapband to RNY in 2007 (just almost 3 years ago), lost all my excess weight the first year and have kept it off for two years. There's no comparison. RNY is the best thing I ever did. I vary between 103-107 pounds and a size 0 to a 2 depending on the clothes. I'm 5' 2-1/2" and am so thrilled with my RNY there just aren't words.
nursegirl2001
on 7/16/10 3:12 am - Wichita, KS
I am scheduled for Rou-N-Y July 28,2010. How do you deal with the issue of 'bad-smelling-gas? And what are you doing to successfully combat vitamin deficiencies?? I m so glad that you have done so well. Now I am excited to do this.
Most Active