Feeling like a failure

alice T.
on 7/7/10 6:29 am - kansas city, MO
I can't even believe I am looking into this.  I had RNY December 2003, did great...started at 308 and went down to 160...leveled off at 192 for about 3 years and then 2 years ago it went up and keeps going up until now I am between 225 and 230.  My surgeon prescriber Phentermine but it doesn't seem to help.  I have had quite a few pain issues which have been mysterious over the years.  MANY EGD's, medications etc.  I am officially diagnosed with major depression which the weight gain does not help.  I have this fear of seeing someone and knowing they will say at least to themselves...I knew it was a bad idea...

I emailed my surgeon's nurse and she said I would need to talk to the surgeon (my original surgeon has moved and this is one of his collegues).  I have bins full of cute clothes that will not fit.  So how did you guys deal with the feeling of failure.  Did you tell many people what you were doing?  I know most of my freinds will think I am crazy...

I have Aetna POS 2...I have been pretty compliant and good with my follow up blood tests.  Any thoughts.
dawn4511
on 7/7/10 9:31 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
First I suggest giving yourself credit where credit is due. You didn't fail you did amazing, yes your having some set backs now but in no way is that being failure. #1 thing is to get a gi x ray and see if your pouch is still in good standing. #2 track what you are eating to see where the issue is. #3 stay in contact with OH people who will give you help and support to get back on track. You did it and can do it again, You my friend have the power. best of luck stay in touch.
alice T.
on 7/7/10 10:25 am - kansas city, MO
So did you do a revision from a RNY to the BPS?  What do you think?  I would have to get my support from here because I would put my friends over the edge if I do another gastric surgery.  They were scared to death I wouldn't make it  through the first one!!
dawn4511
on 7/7/10 11:17 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hello
Nope I haven't had a revision yet. I'm starting to look into it. I had gotten to 199 and currently i'm at 235 so I'm in the same place as yourself. Today I decided that I want to try my best and give my pouch a chance. I went in March to my surgeon my pouch is still perfect however my stoma is stretched so nothing stays in my pouch.

The DS surgery I'm looking into scares me so I really want to give it my all. I'm a total carb addict so no surgery is really going to help me, until I get it under control. So no unhealthy carbs anymore, drinking my water and taking my supplements. It's really hard but feeling better about myself is going to be so worth it. I even went for a little bike ride tonight. I think you need to find out if there is anything wrong with your current surgery before you can consider a revision. Cheers my friend and your noway a failure for sure.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

stillhopefull
on 7/7/10 11:46 am
 I know all about getting your support here.  My family wants to baker act me for even thinking about another surgery.  My RNY in 2002 gave me 3 months of in and out of the ER along with a pulmonary embolism.  Luckily I had an excellent employer who was the only supportive person.  Keep the faith, keep reading and educating yourself about the DS, and listen to what people say on this board.  Their information is priceless.  Best of luck to you.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Kerry J.
on 7/7/10 11:30 am - Santa Clara, UT
I know the feeling Alice, I had gastric bypass / RNY done back in 1980, I lost the weight and had to fight like a madman to keep it off. It was really difficult, but I managed to keep most of the weight off for 15 years, then got sick, couldn't exercise and lost control. I ended up gaining it all back, it was the pits. Not only that, but I had all the damn pouch problems, I would dump on anything sweet or with milk in it and dense protein like steak or roast would stick; I hated it.

I got a revision to DS in Sept. of 2008 and although the surgery was rough as was the recovery. But once I recovered, things just got better and better. I've since lost the excess weight, I feel fantastic, I eat like a naturally thin person eats, I don't dump and food never sticks because I don't have that damn pouch.

Check everything out and make sure your pouch or stoma isn't stretched out, but if it is and you need a revision, I cannot recommend the DS highly enough, I love it!

Here's a post I did at my 1 year mark:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

I just wish I had done the revision 10 years earlier.

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/10 12:52 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Sounds like me. I had RNY in June, 2003, went from 328 to about 175, crept back up to 221, revised to the DS this past December, and I'm at 166.

BCBS paid for my revision, no problems. I had reflux from a permanent ring that was added to my bypass. I am so glad to be rid of that!!!
Most Active