Lap Band to RNY revision next week

crteacher
on 7/3/10 11:37 pm - Salem, NH
I got my band in July 2006 and from the beginning it was not right.  I had to have it so tight to lose weight that eating was downright painful and on top of that I was a slow loser.  I got pregnant with my third baby and gained some weight. After having her the doctor and I started with fills again.  Sadly something now was really amiss. I was either not able to eat at all or was eating but having horrible gastric reflux at night. I spent much time with my doctor and she suggested revision.  I am petrified of gastric bypass so I said I wanted to keep trying with the band.  She suggested 6 months working with the band and then we would talk. Well here I am.  They could not get the awful reflux to stop so I finally decided that I was going to go with the revision.  I have to have my band out, a hernia fixed and the bypass.  I start a weeklong liquid diet tomorrow.  I have been doing liquids and one meal for the last 3 days.
I am terrified of the surgery itself but also at failing. Even though my doctor told me that from the beginning my lap band wasn't working with my body I still feel like I failed and I am afraid I will have this surgery and fail again...
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

ronda-k
on 7/4/10 12:39 am
 Wow, I could have written this!!!  I was banded in Nov. 07.  Did you know that many Bariatric surgeons think that Gerd and Reflux are actually caused by being too tight??  My friend has Gerd and her surgeon said it was and she KNEW it but was so desperate to lose she didn't care!  The reason I bring her up is that I'm soooo pi*%ed at her treating her band like that!  Like you, I tried my hardest and have NOT had even an ounce of success with it.  
They believe that my prob. is metabolic and after 14 months of chemo from 06-08 it basically ruined my system.  Who would have known?  I was so desperate to lose and get healthy that I needed to try it!
I'm now just waiting for ins., approval (praying) so I can get a revision to DS-the only one proven to help with metabolic issues.  
I hope you are revised soon and all is behind you as well my friend!!  You seem to have tried all to be successfull as well!  

Ronda-SURVIVOR

starting wt-320
pre op-312
current-
bobbiie
on 7/5/10 5:42 am - Dayton, NV
 Ronda- k Congratulations on your battle and win over breast cancer!  My question is why if we have medical complications from our bands do we need insurance approval?
Wish you all the best on your new journey with RNY.
Any information you can provide is most appreciated. ~ Dawn

crteacher
on 7/4/10 1:06 am - Salem, NH
As soon as they emptied my band the reflux totally stopped. No reflux, no heartburn..nothing.  I lost a good deal of weight on the band. I was 312 when I decided I needed to do something, I was 308 when i started the process and I was 298 the day I was banded.  My lowest was 226 but the problem was eating literally hurt! I had to be so tight to lose that I not only did not look forward to eating...I was dreaded it!  Boy was that a change! ha ha
I am really scared about the RNY...I am having that feeling of having to give up so much all over again. I know I can do it but I am also afraid of failing. I don;t want to be that person who puts the weight back on again.  I already am that person...but I have a great gift in my daughter to show for it! So todat i am going to a cookout and having some chicken wings with a hamburger becasue tomorrow I start a week of only liquids...
Wife to David

shele
on 7/4/10 2:22 am

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

juliewilk
on 7/5/10 9:59 am - Novi, MI
Candace - I too could have written your letter.  Banded in 2006, slipped, rebanded.  So much frustration from filling, unfilling, GERD, reflux.  I LOVE my bypass.  I should have done it much sooner!  The surgery was not bad.  For me, the drain was the hardest part.  I was in the hospital 1 night, back to work in 1 week.  Now, 9 months later am down 95 pounds (279 to 184)  feeling great.  Your pouch tells you you are full, you stop eating.  No throwing up, no pain. 

Feel free to write me anytime.  Also if you want to talk (248-756-3501) .  I'm in MIchigan. 
disneyelf10
on 7/12/10 8:47 am - Lynn, MA

Julie- thanks for posting...I'm trying to decide or should I say if my dr will preform the revision. Glad to hear  you are doing well! I was scared of thge RNY in first place and picked the band but one never knows how their body is or acts....I am sick of the fills, unfill a little, vomiting all the time, eating the wrongs thigs to get something down.... thanks!!

terilynn112
on 7/5/10 11:32 pm - maryland, NY
I too could have written the original post, and some of the responses. I've had my lapband for 2 yrs in September.... and hopefully in september (because of insurance) i will loose it permanently. I'm revising to an RNY too.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

karenh1127
on 7/7/10 10:15 am - Deer Park, TX
Me too!  I could be you!  I was banded in 05 and did lose 65-70 lbs but was miserable while doing that.  I lost weight because I was so tight that I turned to mushies and soups to eat.  I had horrible reflux and heartburn.  I had my fill removed and still fought heartburn but could eat lots of food.  Barium swallowed showed band to be tight.  Put back on all weight so now I am having it removed for the RNY.  Surgery date is Aug 3 and I am mortified!  My father asked me if that was the real bad surgery were people die??!!  Gee thanks Dad!  I too am scared but feel I cannot go on with this weight.  I am uncomfortable and clothes never fit!  I wish I could see longterm results of revision patients.  I think we have an advantage because now that I know the weight can come back easy, I will be more cautious.  Good luck, you will be fine!

crteacher
on 7/7/10 11:53 am - Salem, NH
I go for my preop meeting tomorrow.
Wife to David

Most Active