OT: Erasing The Stigma of Mental Illness Through Education!

Teena A.
on 7/3/10 4:46 am, edited 7/3/10 6:01 am - Mesquite, TX
Do you have a friend or family member that has a mental illness?

Have you taken the time to learn about their illness?

Education is key to erasing the stigma with mental illness.

Learning about what they deal with will help you and them in the long run. 

Fear of the unknown is understandable.

When you have the capability to educate yourself and you choose not to
is just ignorance.

Knowledge is power!

Fabulous places to start educating yourself and others are listed below.

http://www.nami.org/

www.dbsalliance.org/

For those of you who don't know already I have Bipolar I, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, PTSD, and Anxiety.

I take medication daily, go to Cognitive Behavorial Therapy bi-weekly, and attend mental health recovery support group meetings weekly.

I also facilitate two mental health recovery support group meetings a month in the DFW area.

As of July 19, 2010 I will be a NAMI Peer to Peer Mentor Trainer.
video.google.com/videoplay

Mental Health Recovery and erasing the stigma is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart.

♥ ya'll.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

rugratmama
on 7/4/10 2:35 pm - Charlotte, NC
This subject is near and dear to my heart as well. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 18 and two of my daughters suffer from anxiety and depression. I always try to educate people about my disease and other mental illnesses so they'll understand that it's a manageable condition and there's nothing at all to fear. I live a wonderful life; I take my meds, manage stress and my symptoms and I'm a living example to my daughters and others like us. Kudos to you for starting this thread! You're doing so much to help erase the stigma of mental illness.  

I finally quit cheating on my husband with Ben and Jerry! 

sw/250 cw/140 gw/150          

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/10 6:25 pm
Horray for you! Taking a positive attitude towards your illness and helping others. It's wonderful! most of us tend to not be proactive about MI, which may add to the stigma.

I belong to an online board called Patients Like Me. It's a discussion and supportive forum for people with all types of illnesses. It helps you to track your moods, medication, etc. As well as offering peer support in the form of a forum.

I've found it very helpful and enlightening.

I am BiPolar and also have Depression and Anxiety as well as other crap associated with Mential Illness.

Dana
Most Active