Need Advice (long)

Sumr02
on 7/3/10 11:36 am
I had RNY in 2002 stopped losing at 13 months started having  bile reflux issues and severe abdominal pain. Had UGI and found no problems. I maintained weight loss through 2 pregnancies and pain and reflux kept getting worse. Started gaining weight in '08 and PCP tried diet meds and lost some weight. Mind you I was still exercising throughout. I saw Dr. Garber and had endo and found stretched anastomosis and stupidly underwent Rose procedure no surprise it didn't work. I started seeking other surgeons for advice and settled with Dr. Fielding. I underwent many tests and found hiatel hernia along with the stretched anastomosis. I was told my pouch was okay so BPD/DS was scheduled. The night before surgery BC/BS denied surgery stating not medical necessity and lack of compliance with RNY. I appealed and was still told the same reasons alao that my pouch is stretched. So I would really like to stop this merry go round and seek full DS and have spoken and like DR. Pomp. Can I do this change ? And what can I do to get BC/BS to pay for it? Please anyone that can help Thank you so much. 
StacysMom
on 7/5/10 7:04 pm
It was a blessing in disguise that your insurance denied the BPD at the last minute.   That surgery is essentially an ERNY and hardly anyone has been successful with it and a lot have had problems and needed more surgery to correct, reverse and revise it. 

Please make sure that Dr. Pomp has experience with the RNY to DS revision.   It is very complex and you don't want someone who hasn't done a lot of them working on you.   Just doing the virgin DS surgery isn't enough experience.   Ask the surgeon specifically how many RNY to DS revisions he has done.

Go to the DS board and ask them this same question.   You will get many more answers there.
Most Active