Re Revision!?

sosoclark
on 6/25/10 5:01 am - Sacramento, CA
 I read everything you wrote an not once did you bash anyones surgery only that one should research. I am looking forward to my revision one day and will research all of them until I find the one that is right for me. Guess what??? I want the DS too....
shele
on 6/25/10 5:54 am, edited 6/25/10 5:55 am

Thank you.  I was just not informed the first time, even after researching for a year or more, and went to 3 different surgeons before I decided. NOT ONE of them gave the option of the DS.. because they didnt sell it... the second time I plain was dumb and settled "hoping" it would work... well Here I am..

Good for you for doing your research... it will be hard to find a doc, they are not plentiful for revisions to ds... just hold out till you can get the right one!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

chelle614
on 6/25/10 7:21 am - Chester, NY
and it IS better than Ruined and Why! I would suggest that you read up on things before you go and have another almost certain to fail surgery! 

guess you missed that part? Ruined and Why= RNY, but who's reading? Just a bunch of people seeking a revision, maybe to RNY that now have 2nd thoughts and are now terrified. Like I  said, a lot of insurance companies do not cover DS and most doctors will not perform it. Those patients who are "stuck" accepting gastric bypass will now doubt their success rate.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

shele
on 6/25/10 10:43 am
On June 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM Pacific Time, chelle614 wrote:
and it IS better than Ruined and Why! I would suggest that you read up on things before you go and have another almost certain to fail surgery! 

guess you missed that part? Ruined and Why= RNY, but who's reading? Just a bunch of people seeking a revision, maybe to RNY that now have 2nd thoughts and are now terrified. Like I  said, a lot of insurance companies do not cover DS and most doctors will not perform it. Those patients who are "stuck" accepting gastric bypass will now doubt their success rate.
I hope it does make them think about it! I sure do! Alot more ins ARE covering it than they used to, and more docs are learning! I hope no one feels stuck! Like I said I wish you the very best, if you are confident that you are making the right choice for yourself I am very happy for you and wish you and anyone going through any type of wls the very best, no matter what! But I will say that I read some of YOUR latest posts where you called the band the choke collar was it? or something to that effect. We post and advise from our experience.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

shele
on 6/25/10 10:55 am
I have to apologize, you did not call it a choke collar, I am sorry I misquoted you.  You did however talk down on the band, and said it should be no longer used.  Nothing more than your opinion, and personal experience just like mine regarding the rny!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

pandavenise
on 6/25/10 11:23 am
My god you guys  are scaring the hell out of me. I have had one failed surgery the lap band and am totally  hating that one, didn't work for me. could never get the great spot. I can get any revision except the sleeve my insurance won't cover that one. I go back and forth between these sites and just when I figure out which one I want  I hear bad about it. I am wondering about ds myself and too  am concerned about the long run on both of  them rny  and ds. But I am about to  the place of having this uncomfortable chocking band taken out and for get about all of it.
chelle614
on 6/25/10 11:34 am - Chester, NY
I think I did at one point call the band a choking collar. Thats pretty much what it is, a foriegn object that makes it unpleasant to eat.  Any full feeling is not really a full feeling, since the food sits right below your esophogus. My RNY post-op eating is much more normal feeling. From my experience and others who I know who have developed serious complications from the lapband, I seriously hope they take it off the market. How often has this thing been re-designed in th past decade? 4, as far as I know. Glad to have that thing OUT and gone.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

shele
on 6/25/10 12:23 pm, edited 6/25/10 12:24 pm

Hon I have 2 failed surgeries!  I really am not trying to spread fear, just want anyone seeking surgery to research and get the best long term results! 

I like to suggest that you spend some time on every wls board, see what they eat, what the complications are, how they live and eat day to day.  See if you can live with it.  ALL surgeries have good and bad, sucess and fail, just some have more fail than others!  Research sites till you are not scared and know you are getting what is right for you!

Best of luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

jeanyjane
on 6/29/10 1:26 am - Germany
You will find people with bad experiences with all surgery types. The boards are full of anectodical stories and these must be seen as what they are - NOT representive. Neither would I listen to surgeons that have never done the DS, are not qualified to do it and can`t back up their opinions with peer-reviewd studies. What you should really do is reading scientific studies to see which risks and which benefits you can realistically expect. Go to www.dsfacts.com for a lot of studies that compare the RNY and DS, or google to find more if you don`t trust that site.

Statistically,

- the DS is much more effective then the RNY and as safe in longterm
- the risks of the DS are the same as the RNY (protein malnutrition is more common with the RNY. actually!!)
- patients with the DS do not have more bathroom issues then RNY'ers

Both are big surgeries and things can go wrong, but staying obese isn`t riskless neither.
flucca
on 6/27/10 3:28 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Just wondering where people get the impression that DS requires supplements for life and RNY doesn't.  RNY patients like myself are all to familiar with the nutritional and vitamin deficiencies that can be present with RNY as well as DS.  So, for a surgeon to say he does not perform the DS because of potential deficiencies and yet offer the RNY is contradictory, at that point the surgeon should just retire and perform no surgery at all.  The fact is that all WLS procedures offer a risk vs. benefit and all require "maintenance"  and have potential isssues.  The problem is that for too long there has been this mentality of RNY being the "gold standard" one size fits all procedure.  If there's one thing all of us on this board should know, it's this "one size does not fit all", hence the reason I don't wear a speedo...lol  Anyway, you really have to look at your individual cir****tance and what you can live with long term.  The RNY has helped many people but the evidence is clear that those with a high starting bmi are likely to remain obese even if they are "successful" with it.  So, do your research and choose what's best for you, but one thing is clear....doctors should present clear, evidence based reasons for their recommendation in a particular cir****tance.  DS is not right for everybody in my opinion, but should certainly be considered, as RNY and Band certainly aren't the "golden ticket" either.  Hopefully we each look for the option that gives us the best balance between weight maintenance, lifestyle and optimal health.

Most Active