Saw Doc today about Revision

karenh1127
on 6/23/10 7:35 am - Deer Park, TX
and he agreed that the band is not working for me and is in fact causing alot of scar tissue.  My barium swallow showed me extremely tight even though I am able to eat lots.  I have reflux/heartburn non stop.  After discussing different surgeries, we settled on the by-pass.  I asked about the sleeve since insurance covers it now.  He didnt think it would be the best for me when considering my eating habits, etc.  (i am a sugar freak)  I am nervous about undergoing another surgery especially the risk of complications but I do know that I cannot keep up what I am doing.  Besides damaging my esophogus, I have no energy, I get winded, and back hurts.  It is alot harder being fat at 45 then at 40.  Something has to be done and this is my plan. 

Emily F.
on 6/23/10 10:05 am
Does this doctor even do the sleeve? Just make sure he is not 'selling' the surgeries he does. Decide on a surgery, THEN choose a doc. Remember all 4 surgeries.
karenh1127
on 6/24/10 1:20 am - Deer Park, TX
Yes he does the sleeve.  He recently did one on a coworker who talked him into it.  I have tons of confidence in this doctor so I trust him.

Emily F.
on 6/24/10 6:13 am
Definitely decide on the surgery first, then choose a doc. I'm sure he is a great man, but you don't want to be anybody's second surgery. Research which surgery will fit your eating habits. good luck in your research.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Zee Starrlite
on 6/25/10 12:36 am
Good Luck with your revision Karen.

(((HUGS)))
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

terilynn112
on 6/25/10 8:25 am - maryland, NY
My surgeon is feeling the same thing with me. I'm much like you. I love my sugary sweet things. Hopefully that I'll be one that dumps. Need that to stop me. With my luck I won't though. I'm hoping and praying i do.

Anyway, I too have a band that's not workign with me. I've been able to maintain my weight, but I didn't have weight loss surgery to maintain my fat weight. I'll be 40 in feb. So there are a lot of similarities in us.

Keep us posted. I have to do the orientation, before they schedule any of the appts. I'm doing that on the 7th of July.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Debbie M.
on 6/25/10 10:54 pm

I agree with the previous poster in searching all options before going under the knife.  You don't want to have to go through this a 2nd time like I did. I had an RNY in 2002 and regained my weight - revised to a DS this past Februrary and life is so much better than RNY life (for me).  I eat much more normally, if I feel like something sweet I ihave it.  I hated the pouch and all of it's silly restrictions.  Example, one day I could eat a piece of watermelon I would dump, the next day I wouldnt'.  You can eat around any weight loss surgery, you've got to commit to a healthier lifestyle.
Best of luck, I know it's a tough decision.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

~JoZo MaOl~
on 6/26/10 11:56 pm - GA

Lynn C
on 6/27/10 4:22 am
Hi - same boat here - band is coming out in September and I'm getting the sleeve - Good luck!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Heather D.
on 7/1/10 2:29 am - New York, NY
I have been looking into revision surgeries also and I have to say that I am seeing so many posts on here that sound like pressure to have the DS. I am much more leaning towards the ROSE procedure. I understand that there is not a lot of positive reaction to that on these boards, but I have not ruled anything out.

Most Active