Lap band to RNY Questions Please help

sfsugrl27
on 6/21/10 9:23 pm - Concord, CA
Ok so I got the lap band in 2008 and I just had alot of problems with gerd and I was never actually ever really able to find my sweet spot or even keep the band filled because i would get horrible heart burn and gas and acid reflux it was a night mare but with out really being  able to  utilize the band to the it's full potential I did lose some weight I started out before surgery at 296 then I went to 275 day of surgery and I went all the way down to 220 and I gained 20 lbs back and now I am scheduled to get the gastric bypass on June 30,2010 and I am terrified I did not opt for this surgery because I am really freaked out about alot of things(cutting and rerouting) and now I wish I would have just done the rny in the 1st  place becasue now I have to go back in and get a revision and I have all this scar tissue and this band in me so I heard it's even worse RISK wise. SO I just want some advise from some people who have converted from the lap band to the rny like what was it like was every thing ok is every thing okay now did you have any complications really anything because I am really scared I want the surgery and I know I need it for other medical reasons I HAVE 2 get this weight off but I am really scared and just want to get other peoples experiences because I was not expecting to go in again for a weight loss surgery so any friendly advice kind words anything who knows what I am going threw feel free to tell me anything because I have not found very many people thus far with my paticular experience.
MsBatt
on 6/22/10 8:35 am
Have you also considered being revised to the DS rather than the RNY? I ask because we have a few people n here who've gone from the Band to the RNY to the ERNY to, finally, the DS. You might want to consider all your options, and go straight to the DS.
mtowngirl
on 6/23/10 7:50 am - Indianapolis, IN
I can't help you but want to follow your post. I am having the same thing done. I am also scared, but know I want it.
sfsugrl27
on 6/23/10 9:38 am - Concord, CA

I am suprised I have not had anym post I have done a little searching and found a few people who are in similar situations and the only real response i got on here was telling me I should do DS which I am not going to do and has nothing to do with my question, but thanks for responding I am going to post information on here when I get it done because I know there has to be more peope in our situation and I am curious and scared so I know any help or information goes a long way so K.I.T I will add you as a friend and fill you in on all the details or anything you want to know and good luck

chelle614
on 6/24/10 1:08 am - Chester, NY
Hi,
Please try not to be nervous about the RNY. I had Lapband and did lose a lot of weight, but developed complications afterward. I now realize that the reason I was so successful initially, was that eating with the lapband was so uncomfortable that I subconciously tried to avoid it. I would be happy drinking coffee all day and have a bowl of ice cream in the afternoon. NOT healthy. Now that I have RNY, I can eat things without that horrid feeling of being "stuck" in my throat. Last night I had a small salad, piece of fillet mignon, and a little brown rice. If I had tried that with the lapband, I would have been running for the bathroom after 4 bites. The surgery itself will be more intense recovery-wise because you will be exausted for a week or so. But, I didn't have much pain. Since I only had 30 lbs to lose, I am losing a little slow but yanno what? I feel healthier than I have in 5 years. Have you tried looking at the RNY board? Everyone is very helpful over there and it may give you more info on what to expect.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

hollyberries
on 6/24/10 10:43 am - Carver, MA
Chelle,

Diddo to everylthing you said.  I went through the same thing.  Happiest move I made was to RNY.  Wish I had done it first.  I have lost 56lbs in 4 months.  Still have a lot to go but I am so glad that I can eat without discomfort and gerd, and heart burn and throwing up....ahhhh!

The the POSTER...do it do it do it.

Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

sfsugrl27
on 6/24/10 7:38 pm - Concord, CA
that is awesome 56lbs in 4 months I am so excited for you I hope I do that good and I know you will reach your goal. I have a question do you work out at the gym and if so how soon did you return to the gym after surgery I go to the gym 5 times a week now and I want to try to go back asap so I am really curious about that
bobbiie
on 7/5/10 5:28 am - Dayton, NV
 Hello,  
I have been banded since 9/2004.  Stopped losing about 2 years ago.  Have acid reflux and a dilated esophagus.  My question is if we have medical complications due to the band is there a waiting period?  And why should there be?  Any information on your experience would be greatly appreciated.  All the to you on your journey . ~ Dawn.
chelle614
on 7/5/10 5:35 am - Chester, NY
If your esophogus is dilallated, the surgeon will usually remove all the fluid for a month or so and do another x-ray to see if it shrinks. The down side to this is that you have no restriction and it is very easy to gain a lot of weight quickly. After doing this various times over 2 years, I was tired of the emotional roller coaster it constantly put me on. I gained 30 lbs between january-march and am still stuggling to lose it even with my revision to RNY.  Or you can just bypass all this nonsense and request a revision right away.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

karenh1127
on 6/24/10 4:43 am - Deer Park, TX
I too am having a rny revision from the lapband.  When I posted this I too got many replies doing the sleeve instead and my doc was nuts, etc.  I trust my doctor so when he told me MY best bet was the rny, I said fine.  I too am very scared because I know it is a bit more risky than the lapband surgery.  I have 2 kids who need me desperately ( one is autistic) and I dont want anything to happen to me.  My band did just what yours did.  I lost 70lbs but that was because I couldnt eat much, mostly liquids and heartburn/ reflux bad.  I had my fill out and put back on the weight.  Xray shows me to be very tight but I can eat lots.  So that is my story and I am going to go over to the rny board for support.  Good luck!

Most Active