8 yrs post op from Gastric Bypass: Considering a Lap Band?

philipwife
on 7/6/10 11:36 am - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
I have to do 3 months non-surgical weight loss program & psychological evaluation & why first weight loss surgery fail for insurance to review for revision (BOB). Please keep us hopeful posted.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

heathercross
on 7/11/10 7:07 am - New York, NY
What insurance do you have?
charleston-mom
on 7/7/10 7:06 am
I don't really understand how a lapband is going to help . . .

The issue is that if you are going to eat, you can do it with either surgery. It's got to be a life change, for the rest of your life. Lapband can be very dangerous if you overeat and can cause a world of problems. There just isn't any surgery that will work long-term if you continue to do the wrong things. These surgeries are just tools.

Before you consider having a band placed, it might be a good idea (for all of us) to have therapy with regard to self-sabotage. It's VERY easy to outeat a band (you can just graze all day long on sweets and carbs and fatty foods). While you may have some more restriction, it doesn't really help with those kinds of issues, or really honestly with hunger (I had a lapband and revised to RNY to lose all my weight). Try to do your research too on lapband and long-term complications. It can be really dangerous. I had two slips and erosion through my stomach wall.

I agree with the one poster who suggested possible revision to a DS. I think that might be the one surgery that would still allow you to eat some, and lose the weight. But I think the most important thing is finding out the size of your pouch and stoma. Just be aware, if you overeat with lapband, you can be at very real risk physically including permanent and severe damage to your esophagus.

Also, you mentioned you don't want to go back to "basics," but that's exactly what you will have to do to be successful with lapband. It's going to involve really changing habits and doing what you did when you were first successful, long-term, unless you consider DS.
heathercross
on 7/11/10 6:59 am - New York, NY
I dont know you. You dont know me.  I've been in therapy, I've confronted my food issues.  If I do infact have an enlarged stoma, well, then the revision is justified.

Ihave no problem eating right.  Im 8 yrs post-op and I know this is a tool.  I dont graze, I have issues with volume.  I do NOT eat sweets. Just bc you had to revise one to the other and you were unsuccessful with the lap, doesnt mean I wouldnt be successful. I also live in NYC where there are world class surgeons.

Im going to get off my soapbox, but, Im a smart, educated woman who would never do anythign without proper research. I'd also never use anything but the best possible surgeon in the field.

philipwife
on 7/11/10 8:27 am - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
blue cross blue shield.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

heathercross
on 7/11/10 8:34 am - New York, NY
@philipwife, why do they require so much documentation?  Did you require somuch for your 1st surgery?
philipwife
on 7/11/10 2:23 pm - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
With the first one I had united health care I did as much as I could before my consultation, I remember I had long wait for my consult. My Dr. office had mail me list of things to do and I did them so when I went to my consult I was ready, but I had psychological the day of consult and saw a dietitian, just needed them to sent letter. And was approve with no problem within 2 week.

I didn't call my bcbs to ask why because I been lurking and seem other who had to do this also. Right now I been stressing over out of network endoscopy I had done at the hospital.

Nurse at Dr office said that I only needed the psychological evaluation once and 3-4 month of nonsurgical weight loss program which I will see a dietitian. This all will be done at my Dr. office. The reason why my surgery fail was already put on there she said so I'm not sure why they are asking for that.

Check my profile there is website that explain the problem and treatment they can do.

charleston-mom
on 7/12/10 7:30 am
I was just going on what you have said, that you have eaten badly for the last six months, and that you have put on 50 pounds in the last several years. As far as my revision, it was a failure and disintigration of a lapband. I have been at goal for over two years. I'm not the only one that said this is a tool or that you would need to change your eating habits. I'm not sure if you have no problems eating right, don't graze, don't have problems with volume, don't eat sweets, how you gained back 50 pounds and admit you're not eating right. All we can go on responding to you is what you say, which is that you were definitely having problems. That's why people are telling you revision won't work unless you change your eating habits. Even with a perfectly sized stoma. I hope things work out for you. Hopefully this will be just what you need to get back on track.
Nikki N.
on 3/6/11 3:21 pm - Woodland Hills, CA
I had RNY in 2004 and gained 80lbs back and went for the lap band in 12/2010 and it was not a success. They were not able to get to my stomach due to scar tissue sticking together from my RNY. I wasted about $2000 of out of pocket expenses. There is a rose procedure you may want to look into as well.
Most Active