8 yrs post op from Gastric Bypass: Considering a Lap Band?

heathercross
on 6/27/10 5:30 am - New York, NY
@csanddex... I can eat ANYTHING. I've never had problems.  Ive really never thrown up and the only thing I dump from is wine.  I get so hit and sweaty its embarrassing since Im single and I drink ond ates (lol).  I know that when they check, my stomas will be enlarged and my pouch stretched. I also know that my surgeon was conservative back in ''02 with the amount he bypassed of the intenstines.
csanddex
on 6/28/10 1:24 pm
Interesting, i could eat some sugar and not others.. Did you lose alot of weight?  I lost about 80 pounds but stated gaining 10lbs back a year.  I just had my bob on fri so we wont know anything for awhile.  I am hopeful but will have to take some initiative. I have not lost anything but suspect I am a bit bloated.
heathercross
on 6/29/10 11:03 am - New York, NY
I lost 140lbs in 8 mos. I went from 305 to 175 (after PS).  My normal post-RNY weight was 189.  I put on about 15-16 lbs btwn 2005-2007 and then in the last 3 yrs, put on about 25.
heathercross
on 6/27/10 5:24 am - New York, NY
heathercross
on 6/27/10 5:27 am - New York, NY
@pandavenise...Im sorry you're having a hard time since your lapband.  But, I know more people who have been successful than not. Why does your dtr say you are having issues?  There has to be a medical reason and a corrective action?

I dont understand how you cannot get liquids down but you can get meat down?

Something doesnt sound right here?

On a side note, RNY works for a ton of people so does DS. But, I know DS's who have failed too. So, I think its more about the surgeon and the person.
pandavenise
on 6/27/10 8:40 am
I have a 9cc band and I have had 4 fills in a year and I think I am at 4cc. If I try and get anymore fills Then I have a hard time even getting liquids down. Where I am now there are days when I don't have a hard time eating much of any thing and then days that I have a hard time getting certain foods down like beef and fish. Some time I can eat some thing and then the next time not. I find in the morning I have a harder time eating and sometime in to lunch. Evenings I can eat pretty good . I have pain where my port is and now I am having some stomach pain. I have a appointment on the 7th to see my dr so I am going to have him maybe see whats going on.
csanddex
on 6/25/10 1:24 pm
This was piece of cake compared to rny. Am a little achy but mostly bored wanting to go wonder around.
~JoZo MaOl~
on 6/27/10 12:24 am - GA
I am not a revision, but here is my DS story.

My insurance only covers one Bariatric Surgery in a lifetime. I also only wanted to undergo one surgery and limit the risks that come with any surgical procedure.

I concluded that:

1. The DS has better results for excess weight lose and for less regain.
2. The DS is not anymore major surgery then the RNY or any abdominal surgery.
3. The DS done laparoscopically has almost the same recovery time of any Laparoscopic procedure.
4. I have a metabolic disorder that would not be resolved with restriction only.
5. I can eat more "Normal" with the DS and still lose the weight.
6. I can stick to the supplement/labs schedule.

I know each person comes to their own conclusions and I know the OP is working on Band over RNY and is not interested in the DS.

I just wanted to share for those who may read and offer www.dsfacts.com.

Good Luck to all in their research and decision making.

Take Care!!

heathercross
on 6/27/10 5:33 am - New York, NY
I appreciate that.  But, everything I have read about an RNY being converted to a DS is a major surgery.  I agree with you that the DS is no more a surgery than the RNY but thats THE FIRST TIME!
Lynn C
on 6/27/10 4:20 am
Band over bypass will only help if your weight gain is due to an enlarged stoma -

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active