Having Problem - Scheduled for a bariatric study on Monday - Any help would be appreciated!

Angela B.
on 6/18/10 3:25 am - Atlantic, IA
I had my RNY in July of 2005.  I have lost a total of 150 pounds, I went from 320 to to 170 after my TT.  I am now at 205.  I am having nausea and vomitting with various things, that make no sense.  One day I can hold them down, the next the come back up.  They have ran an Upper GI, which doesn't show a fistula or anything like that.  I had a scoping and there is some weird webbing in my stoma, which if they cut it out, I won't have any restriction into my bowels.  One Monday I go in for a bariatric study where you have to eat radioactive eggs and drink radioactive liquid to see how fast things are moving through the pouch and intestines.  (Has anyone had this procedure done?)  They want to check and see if I have the Candy Cane Roux Syndrome going on.  I would love to revise and lose the weight I have gained back, I never actual made it to goal. I'm 5'2" so kind of short and needed to be atleast at 150 to 130, to be considered normal weight.  I was okay with 170 though.  I have Dr. McBride in Omaha, Nebraska for my surgeon.  I love her to peices, but she really doesn't want to operate again.  I'm keeping a food journal and have blue cross of Iowa.  Not sure what she's thinking, hopefully I will know more after this study.  Would like to go to the DS, but not sure she would even consider it and I'm really scared to switch surgeons.  I haven't been on here in a while, but needed to bounce some ideas off of experience WLS patients. 
Angie
dawn1234
on 6/20/10 7:52 am
Hi Angela,

Our stories are very similiar! I had a revision to a RNY in May of 2005. My new problems started about 2 years ago with bad pains in the mid to right upper abdomen area. I never went to the ER intil April of this year. They ran labs and found out that something was up with my liver. Over the next 3 weeks I was in the ER 2 more times and hospitalized one time for extreme pain. During one of the last ER visits they found that my enteroanastomsis (connects the duodenum to the bypassed portion) the actual "Y" area was dilated huge and actually was causing intussception (which is extremely rare in adults). I was just like you able to eat things one day (sometimes alot) and then the next day hardly anything. My surgeon said that the portion of the deudonum off of the pouch was actually acting as a second stomach! Needless to say I was on OR table within days. I would recommend Mayo Clinic and Dr. Swain or Dr. Sarr (both are very familiar with tough revisions). Dr. Swain did mine and also said that it is commonly being seen that some RNY patients are requiring a 2nd to 4th revision.
Hope this helps....if you have questions feel free to write me!
Dawn
Angela B.
on 6/21/10 2:01 am - Atlantic, IA
Thank You Dawn!!  It's crazy, I was suppose to have a bariatric study test done this morning, but was rescheduled on my way there.  So, that is going to happen on Wednesday.  I will be looking into those other surgeons, thank you.
Angie
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 3:51 pm - United Kingdom
Hi Angela,

I sent you a private message but I have experienced the same as you and have been through extensive testing to determine that I am experiencing Candy Cane Syndrome and require surgery. I will be seeing the surgeon a week from Thursday and not looking forward to an operation but it will all be worth it to stop the vomiting, nausea, and the god awful pain.
Angela B.
on 6/24/10 5:07 am - Atlantic, IA
I sent you an e-mail, hope to talk to you some more.  I am tired of all the tests and just want to get rid of the nausea, vomitting and pain.  Let me know what you find out and I'll keep you posted on mine.  I know what you mean about surgery, not looking forward to having one done, but I don't want to live daily with this either.  You never know if it's going to be a good day or a bad day.

Angie
Angie
shele
on 6/24/10 5:38 am

I wish you all the best and hope you all find a resolution soon, this sounds awful!

Not that I am pushing DS as I have been acused, but the  first posted mentioned it...

www.dsfacts.com

and the ds board

Both have lots to read and learn!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

shele
on 6/24/10 5:42 am

I think you need to keep researching your options, and maybe just visit or consult by e-mail  with a surgeon that does ALL the revisions and see what they have to say. 

hop on over to the ds board, and www.dsfacts.com.

I wish you the best in getting all this resolved,,, it is scary enough the first time around.!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Angela B.
on 6/24/10 7:39 am - Atlantic, IA
Shele:

Thank you for your post.  I have looked at the ds web site.  It helped answer a ton of questions that I had regarding the DS.  Kerry also posted a lot of helpful information on someone else's post.  Apparently, there is a very good sugeon in Omaha, Dr. Anthone that also does revisional surgeries.  I am talking to my husband about getting involved with him.  Really want to see what this study says when it comes back.  Not sure what the doctors are thinking.  If I don't get the answers I want, I will switch surgeons, just want to give McBride a chance to figure this out first.  She's really a great surgeon and doctor.  I would never accuse you of pushing the DS, I did state that in my opening, because I am seriously weighing that option.  My husband and I talked about the Mayo clinic, even with the drive if that was what it would take.  But, Kerry pointed out Dr. Anthone in Omaha, which is my normal travel distance anyways. 

Currently, I am just doing ALOT of research, because this isn't anything I want to repeat in five years again and I want to be well prepared for what ever decision I make.  I don't really want another major surgery, but I refuse to live like this daily.

Thanks again for your information and I do go over to the ds board alot to see what's going on. 
Angie
Most Active