revision from RNY to DS with Dr Stewart in Texas

stillhopefull
on 6/18/10 5:59 am

Anyone out there with RNY to DS revision with Dr. Stewart?  If so can you let me know your experiences, how long you stayed in the hospital, if you were out of state, etc.  Any information would be appreciated.

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
SweetGirl11
on 6/18/10 9:38 am
You might want to also post this on the DS board.  There are some people with revisions there.

All the best to you! 

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

StacysMom
on 6/20/10 4:38 am
 I didn't know that Dr. Stewart did the RNY to DS revision.   Are you sure he does?
stillhopefull
on 6/20/10 12:22 pm
 I called his office and asked and they replied yes so now I am researching.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
StacysMom
on 6/20/10 3:18 pm
 You may want to speak specifically to his nurse, if he has one in the office.   It has been my experience that the reception staff just say "yes" to everything, just to get you in the office where the doctor can then "convince" you that "whatever procedure he does" is the best one for you.

This happened about a year ago with one of the surgeons at the Cleveland Clinic bariatric program.   The reception staff was telling people that this doc did "all" surgeries, including the DS and I was the one who called there, spoke to his nurse and discovered that they did not do the DS - they only did the sleeve.  Someone had been posting about it on the DS board and I thought it sounded "fishy" and it was.

Your doctor's reception staff knows that he does the DS surgery as a virgin surgery, so that would explain why the staff would think he also does it as a revision, but many surgeons who do the DS do not attempt revisions from RNY to DS, for many reasons.   One is skill level and another is the fact that it takes a long time in surgery to perform the conversion and they could probably do two virgin DS's or 3-4 virgin RNY's during that time and make more $$$.

He may very well do it as a revision, but I've never heard of anyone going to him for it and I've been reading these boards for over 3 years.  
stillhopefull
on 6/20/10 10:51 pm
Thanks for the advise.  I will call his office today and check out.
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
nmroxie
on 6/21/10 1:16 am - Lake Dallas,, TX
Hi there! I just had my RNY to DS revision surgery done by Dr. Stewart on May 3.  I have been meaning to post a follow up but just haven't had time so your request has prompted me to get it done! I know I read so many people's experiences before I made my decision and it helped tremendously.  I had my original surgery done in 2001 and lost 160 lbs. Over 8 years I gained 60 back but did manage to keep off 100.  After researching it for about a year I was referred to Dr. Stewart (my original surgeon moved out of state) by my general doctor.  Dr. Stewart  is an amazingly talented surgeon. He is on the quiet side one on one but during my initial visit he spent almost 45 minutes with me going over my different options.  I had never had a dr. spend that much time with me and I was very impressed.  

My surgery was on a Monday and I was released on Thursday. Some things I was expecting having done it before, some things I think I forgot on purpose! Hospital stays are never fun but the nurses and tech were so kind and friendly. He estimated the surgery to be about 4 hours but mine lasted 5 hours. He is very thorough and a perfectionist and I like that in a surgeon.

I am 7 weeks out and have lost 39 lbs.  I have had some issues in keeping things done (from not wanting to go down) but it's getting better. His office staff is always just a phone call away with any questions and that's a great thing.  Let me know some other things you are interested in knowing okay? Then I can be specific for you based on my experience!
StacysMom
on 6/21/10 1:43 pm
 So, then you no longer have a pouch?   You have a sleeve stomach?  

I'm just making sure because there was a surgeon in AZ back in 2008 who was giving patients the Extended RNY revision, but confused them into thinking that they had the actual DS -- two of them even posted  on this very board about how they had had the RNY to DS surgery, when they didn't (and I was the one who corrected them).   And, several ERNY patients had to have yet another revision because they became very ill with the ERNY - this same doctor bypassed WAY more than was safe for them to live with.
StacysMom
on 6/22/10 5:30 am
 I found out that he DOES do the RNY to DS conversion and he DOES reconstruct the stomach and makes it into a sleeve, so you're good to go.

Please be aware though, that he's only been doing this revision for a short period of time and has done less than 10 of them.
stillhopefull
on 6/22/10 5:54 am
Thank you for the information.  I am going to try to set up a phone consult with him.  I have left a message.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks again.  Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Most Active