Which Revision Should I Have?

MsBatt
on 6/20/10 6:54 am
On June 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, pandavenise wrote:
Ihave a lapband I think they can go in and take it out the same as before and probably do lap surgery for the ds. The big thing I keep hearing is about dierria. I don't mean to get so personal but did you have problems with that. Is it  eaiser to keep weight off with the ds and how is your diet on it? Do you eat pretty much anything except you don't  have the dumping. I know you have to control you eating and it  isn't like a free for all on the food anything  has to been with control. How about eating  carbs I hear they can affect you BMs'. Like I said I don't want to seem so personal but I have a big decison to make in the next month  and a half. Thanks. I have went to ds facts and like on this site all the dser's  seem to really be againest rny. Is that because you have already had one and had problems? Thank you for  your input.
The DS has the very BEST stats for long-term, maintained weight loss---76% at 10 years, compared to 65% for the RNY.

Diarrhea is, for most of us, directly linked to what and how much we eat. Right after surgery, it's liquids in/liquids out, no matter which procedure you have. After you're on solid foods, each of us has to find what works for OUR guts. I get gas from the same foods I got gas from pre-op (big surprise). The only time I've had diarrhea was when I had food poisoning (twice in the past 6 years.)

My 'diet' is heavy on protein and fat, moderate on complex carbs, and---I eat a 'real' sweet nearly every day. I eat around 2500-3000 tasty calories, and have had ZERO regain---in fact, I'm 5-7 pounds lighter now than I was a year ago. (I'm six+ years post-DS.)
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 2:30 am - AZ
On June 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, **Susan *. wrote:
Congratulations Kerry on your accomplishments and your tenacity to find what would work for you.   I've been very unsatisfied with the RNY as well. I had my surgery 4 yrs. ago July and it's been a battle from the beginning.  I have been on a diet for 4 yrs.  .... my pouch no doubt has slowly stretched and I've regained 40lbs of the 150 I lost.  Ive also had some new co-morbs since my original surgery.  (ie lupus, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritus)  I was checking into the stomaphyx procedure and this is the response I got on the  main board today.

Post Date: 6/18/10 4:06 pm
On the revision board the only people that ever claimed it worked just happen to work for the doctors who do the procedure.

Out of control eating, even if Stomaphyx or ROSE did work, you can gain with out of control eating. Instead of subjecting yourself to a useless surgery, what about getting to basics? Cut out all carbs for a few days and gradually incorporate good carbs and if it has flower or sugar in it, don't eat it. Not one tiny bit.

Any surgery type, we have to fix the out of control eating, that one is on us.

I wrote that in response to your comment that your eating is out of control.  Those were your words.

gigi _
on 6/17/10 1:37 pm - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Do you want the one that's proved to provide the highest long term weight loss results?  The one that gives you the most normal lifestyle?  The one that will last for the rest of your life?  Are you willing to commit to taking vitamins?  The answer is DS.

www.DSFACTS.COM
flucca
on 6/18/10 12:01 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
In your situation, I would look into the sleeve, similar effectiveness copared to RNY and no dumping, sticking, malabsorption etc.  If it turns out you need the malabsoprtive component, the sleeve can be fairly easily turned into a DS.  Having lived with and been fairly successful with the RNY now for 9 years, I can tell you it's no way to live.  I have managed to keep off 162 lbs of my initial 222 lb loss, but constant dumping, etc. is no way to live.  Also, remember that just like the DS, the RNY requires supplements for life or you will quickly know the effects of iron, vit D and other malabsorption issues.  So, just my opinion, but I would go with sleeve and take it from there.
candie33
on 6/18/10 3:47 am
i am in the same boat as u I am looking at having revision and my doc agrees that the band is no longer working for me and I am not working for it either.  I lost 70 pounds however I have gained I have lost and gained the same 6-10 pounds.  I am trying to decide what would fit my lifestyle. I have been looking into the DS and the vertical sleeve. This is my last opportunity to have weightloss surgery because the insurance only covers one procedure in a lifetime.  So I have to make the best decision.  I am not good with taking vitamins but I guess if I had to I would. My original surgeon doesn't do the DS and he is going to start doing the vertical sleeve. (that's that is a concern for me as well). I have to complete a 6 month supervised diet and support group I will continue to do my research so I can make the best decision.  

karenh1127
on 6/19/10 12:39 pm - Deer Park, TX

Thanks for all the info and personal experiences.  The last time I saw the doctor (1 yr ago), he mentioned the sleeve but said insurance was not paying for it and I would most likely need bypass surgery.  Now I think I read where United Healthcare was paying for sleeves.  I will call Monday and ask.  I have to say that with the lapband, even though it was laproscopic, I had a rough recovery.  It took a good week before I could walk decent.  I have 2 kids and need to  recover quickly.  I know these surgeries are all done laproscopicly but some say that is how you end up with complications, such as knicking something and causing bleeding.  My surgeon is excellent and considered tops in the Houston area but I get nervous thinking about it all.  Still when I think about being big again, I am determined to fix this once and for all.

Kerry J.
on 6/19/10 7:08 pm - Santa Clara, UT
If you're "determined to fix this once and for all" why are you even considering RNY or VSG? By far and away, the surgery that gives you the best chance of losing and keeping the weight off is the DS. Nothing else even comes close.

Your surgeon might be "excellent" at doing RNY, but if you want to fix it for good, you need a lot better surgeon that the one you already have. The one you have is two lazy to have gotten certified to do the DS, your surgeon is in for the money, otherwise he would be giving you all the choices and explaining each option to you. He's not, he's selling you what he does, so he can get the fee.

It's your life and your health, you either take charge of it or you let someone else tell you what to do; like you did when you got the Lap Band.

Kerry
karenh1127
on 6/20/10 8:41 am - Deer Park, TX
Thanks for the replies and personal info.  I am calling my insurance tomorrow to see if they cover the sleeve.  I heard United now does.  I go to the doc on Wed and will see what he says.  I want  it to be a surgery that doesnt have a hard or long recovery.  Kids to take care of, etc.  I will let yall know.

Most Active