Lap Banders?

gigi _
on 6/16/10 3:34 pm - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I've just had surgery and I'm too tired to type out all the reasons I would normally type.  So, I'll just ask you to give yourself the benefit of all the information available and check out www.DSFACTS.com and learn about DS before you make a decision to have another type of surgery.
spoiledarmywifey
on 6/16/10 4:23 pm - Ft. Hood , TX
I had the Lapband surgery in Oct of 2008.. It was horrible, immediately I had to have my gallbladder removed due to a drop in weight to fast..I lost 70 lbs in less than 3 months. and 35 of that was in the first month.  I was doing everything I needed to.. I also then got a Hiatal Hernia, and GERD followed with the inability to eat.. from Jan to May I was barely able to eat 1 out of every 5 meals.. Wasnt keeping water down either. It got real bad.. My husband is army so we had actually moved from tx to virginia to oklahoma from Jan to May. As soon as we got here I called the insurance company and pushed my way thru to get a Direct Referral from them..

As of June 3rd I had a revision to Gastric Bypass, and let me tell you, even though I had an open surgery I already felt 50% better having that Lapband gone.. Once my Dr got inside to see what was going on I was informed that my Band slipped causing the Hiatal Hernia to come untacked, the Port was tearing my muscle, the previous Dr I had who planted the band in did the surgery wrong and I had scar tissue everywhere. 

As of now Im not seeing the results from Gastric  in the mirror, but my rings no longer fit, my husband sees a big change... and Im only 13 days from surgery...

Ive heard much better things from everyone else who I know has some form of WLS except the band... I wish you the best on your decision.. All of our stories are gonna put a bad taste in your mouth, but you will hear them about every option you have.. Because People are different in everyway.. So you really need to sit down with yourself and think it out, and then talk about ALL of your concerns with your DR.. and make your choice from there..

baseballmomof2
on 6/16/10 9:21 pm
Thank you to everyone *****plied. It's so hard to know what will be right for me but all your stories gave me a lot to think about.

sharyn_pear
on 6/19/10 8:02 pm - Australia
Just thought I would reply.   I had my lapband surgery four years ago.  I can honestly say I have had no problems.  I lost around 100lbs in the first year and have maintained my weight loss.  I have only had three fills.   I did a lot of research before surgery.. and not only which surgery.... but which Dr.  I noticed with these message boards that you often get a group of people from one area/doctor who have had problems.   Always check how many surgeries the Dr has done and what are his complication stats.  I no longer have high blood pressure or diabeties. I eat pretty much what I want to... just less of it.... and I chew a lot more lol.   It is a major life style change that takes discipline - something that I needed or I wouldn't have got to where I did.  I was banded in Australia and we have been lapbanding longer than the US - so check out Australian long term stats.  They stack up pretty good against other WLS's.

Good luck with your decision.
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/10 5:35 am - AZ
On June 20, 2010 at 3:02 AM Pacific Time, sharyn_pear wrote:
Just thought I would reply.   I had my lapband surgery four years ago.  I can honestly say I have had no problems.  I lost around 100lbs in the first year and have maintained my weight loss.  I have only had three fills.   I did a lot of research before surgery.. and not only which surgery.... but which Dr.  I noticed with these message boards that you often get a group of people from one area/doctor who have had problems.   Always check how many surgeries the Dr has done and what are his complication stats.  I no longer have high blood pressure or diabeties. I eat pretty much what I want to... just less of it.... and I chew a lot more lol.   It is a major life style change that takes discipline - something that I needed or I wouldn't have got to where I did.  I was banded in Australia and we have been lapbanding longer than the US - so check out Australian long term stats.  They stack up pretty good against other WLS's.

~~but which Dr.  I noticed with these message boards that you often get a group of people from one area/doctor who have had problems.   Always check how many surgeries the Dr has done and what are his complication stats.~~

Not this time, I count 8 doctors from this thread thus far.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 11:42 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On June 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
On June 20, 2010 at 3:02 AM Pacific Time, sharyn_pear wrote:

~~but which Dr.  I noticed with these message boards that you often get a group of people from one area/doctor who have had problems.   Always check how many surgeries the Dr has done and what are his complication stats.~~

Not this time, I count 8 doctors from this thread thus far.

Man I would love to slap that chick. Add 4 MORE FAILED BANDS from me and Nakita.
neacres100
on 6/16/10 11:25 pm - NJ
First off, everyone's decision on what type of WLS they have, are all personal decisions.  I just wish I knew what I know now, back then.

I had my band put in 6 years ago.  Lost almost 70 pounds.  Was ok with the weight loss, but did not like the experience in losing the weight with it.  The food getting stuck a couple of times was painful and it came with drooling, vomiting up foam, and if I was lucky the stuck peice of food either came up, or finally passed.  Then in 2008, weight started climbing up slowly, I increased my workouts, swimming laps (joined the YMCA)  and walks, trying to maintain that weight loss.  But it kept going up.  Then i noticed my restricition wasn't as much.  I just figured my pouch had streched, I wasn't having any pain.   I started looking into revision surgeries, to have the band removed.  Couldn't make up my mind what I wanted an RNY or DS.  Did research on surgeons and decided on the surgery DS.  Found my surgeon that I wanted, and waited for his transfer from Fl to NY.  In the mean time I had to have thyroid surgery (long story on that).  Had to heal from that surgery, which I did, and started my quest again for DS.

I started having fevers, which I attributed to my office environment.  People were getting sick with colds, so I just thought I caught whatever they had.  My MD. gave me antibiotics, and the fevers went away.  THEN, where the port was located under my skin started to get tender to the touch, and pinker in color.  During this whole time, my weight was climbing back up more.

The DS surgeon said to have an endoscopy, which I did in the end of October, and they found that band had erroded into my stomach, and needed to get a surgeon to have that removed.  Found a surgeon, and had that thing removed in dec 09.  Had a severe infection at the port site as well. 

DS surgeon said that he can't and wouldn't do anything to me until my stomach healed (approximately 6 months), before i can have the DS done. 

I'm currently waiting for the ulcers to heal now.  I have one at the site where the band was, and one at the bottom of my stomach.  Hope they heal soon, then I can move forward with my DS.

Like I said, weight loss surgeries are all personal decisions.  If one thing works for some people, it may not work for others.  Do your research and hopefully you will make the right choice for you.

Donna

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
chelle614
on 6/17/10 6:21 am - Chester, NY
Had 2, lost 120 lbs but now have damaged throat muscles. It feels like a choking collar, food gets caught right above your breastbone and it is an unpleasant feeling. The ones I know who still have theirs, has resorted to eating ice cream and mush everyday to avoid the feeling. I wish they would take it off the market here, it does not last many people and most have to get a revision or new band.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

Kate -True Brit
on 6/17/10 5:13 pm - UK

Please bear in mind that people coming on to a revision board are probably more likely to be those with issues. I am only here (first time ever I think) because someone on another board put in the link to this thread.

I have been banded for over 4 years. I have not had any problems at all. Lost my weight steadily and fast enough for me. Rarely PBed once I got to know my band, never had a truly painful episode. Did get tight a couple foftimes when stressed. But that passed quickly.

BUT we do have to work - all wls means changing your life style to some extent; the band more than most. We don't malabsorb - for me that is a major plus but others want to have that extra help. 

There are very many successful and happy bandsters around. But, as with any surgery, there are always some people for whom that band does not work. Sometimes it is their own fault (" I know I am eating the wrong foods but why am I not losing weight?"  " My doc told me to do X but I did Y - now i have a slipped band"). A few may be botched surgery. But equally, for some the band does not work! Or things go wrong despite their care!

People throw stats about (often without any named source )  but the major study I know (Stroh and Monger) found that in Germany 2.6% had slips and 1% erosion.

You are doing the correct thing to ask questions! Ask on the surgery forums as well (all of them!) to get the other side.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

nukefive
on 6/17/10 10:16 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I had lap band surgery in March of 2007.  My port got infected, then I suffered a stroke, then had my gallbladder removed.  Now my band has slipped.  I am in line for a revision to rny.  Many of my friends with bands have not had the weight loss the desired or have gained weight back. I is really your call  you must weigh the risk of each surgery and talk with your family.
Most Active