Lap Banders?

baseballmomof2
on 6/16/10 3:24 am
I am currently researching WLS and am interested in hearing from people who have or had a Lap Band. If you have had one and had problems with it what were they and what caused them and for those who chose a revision what did you go to and why? Any info would be great!

terilynn112
on 6/16/10 5:16 am - maryland, NY
I am in line for a revision. I have a lapband, am going to an RNY. Why? Because i've not lost. USer error some, i'm sure. But it's also slipped and my surgeon has recommended against replacing it with another. No one knows for sure what causes all slips. Mine well my band is fine one minute, and literally the next second it's slammed shut. Why? Stress often does it, and changes in barimetric levels. ETc.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Valerieb09
on 6/16/10 5:23 am, edited 6/16/10 5:24 am - Seacoast, NH
I strongly suggest you talk to a lot of people that have been banded more than two years and get their experiences. I found it to be a hellish nightmare and I don't know anyone here in my area here in New Hampshire or down in Boston where my doctor is located that hasn't had major issues, problems, can't eat, can't tolerate the band, can't tolerate fills after a certain point, etc.
My surgeon offered me a revision to RNY in January 2008. I had a revision to RNY in June 2008. By the way I couldn't hardly eat anything but soft food with the band but it gave me GERD after a year. I had my revision and life is so good now. I have now lost 110 lbs. and eat like a very "normal" person. You would never know I had WLS.
There is a lot more info on band stats out there now than when I was researching back in 2004, 2005. I suggest you do a whole lot more research and decide if this is something you can live with if you have issues.
I am NOT trying to scare you away from the band but I will not sugarcoat my experience either. Good Luck with your decision!

P.S. I pretty much agree 100% with all the other posters that talked about issues, problems, etc.

Above is a copy of a reply I made to someone awhile back considering the lapband. I know my surgeon has had some of his patients have great success INITIALLY with the lapband losing lots of weight then develop medical problems down the road from the band. Band stats are terrible and I would strongly suggest you do your research on ALL the surgery types available especially if your BMI is over 50. Don't be stupid like I was and choose what I thought was the least invasive surgery and easiest but has the worst problems and stats. I have now lost 113 lbs. so I am still in a losing mode after two years. P.S. I revised to the RNY and have been happy with my weight loss and my ability to finally eat like a normal person.

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

hollyberries
on 6/17/10 5:11 pm - Carver, MA
On June 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM Pacific Time, Valerieb09 wrote:
I strongly suggest you talk to a lot of people that have been banded more than two years and get their experiences. I found it to be a hellish nightmare and I don't know anyone here in my area here in New Hampshire or down in Boston where my doctor is located that hasn't had major issues, problems, can't eat, can't tolerate the band, can't tolerate fills after a certain point, etc.
My surgeon offered me a revision to RNY in January 2008. I had a revision to RNY in June 2008. By the way I couldn't hardly eat anything but soft food with the band but it gave me GERD after a year. I had my revision and life is so good now. I have now lost 110 lbs. and eat like a very "normal" person. You would never know I had WLS.
There is a lot more info on band stats out there now than when I was researching back in 2004, 2005. I suggest you do a whole lot more research and decide if this is something you can live with if you have issues.
I am NOT trying to scare you away from the band but I will not sugarcoat my experience either. Good Luck with your decision!

P.S. I pretty much agree 100% with all the other posters that talked about issues, problems, etc.

Above is a copy of a reply I made to someone awhile back considering the lapband. I know my surgeon has had some of his patients have great success INITIALLY with the lapband losing lots of weight then develop medical problems down the road from the band. Band stats are terrible and I would strongly suggest you do your research on ALL the surgery types available especially if your BMI is over 50. Don't be stupid like I was and choose what I thought was the least invasive surgery and easiest but has the worst problems and stats. I have now lost 113 lbs. so I am still in a losing mode after two years. P.S. I revised to the RNY and have been happy with my weight loss and my ability to finally eat like a normal person.
Amen Valerie.  Same Doctor Same Story.  There are way to many similiarities with our stories.  I am so glad that I revised to RNY.  I am down 54lbs since 2/1/10 a 111lbs altogether.  Best move I made. 

Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Valerieb09
on 6/20/10 11:56 am - Seacoast, NH
You are doing fantastic!  This was the best move I ever made too!  I was in denial for a very long time with all my eating issues....basically I couldn't eat anything solid or healthy.  I only lost 35 lbs. and gained most of it back....when I broke down in Dr. Lautz's office I think he was surprised..he then offered me the revision.  It is a dream to be able to eat like a normal person but just smaller portions.  You know I got meat stuck three times and had to have it removed from my esophogus by a gastro doc.  It's wonderful to be able to eat a salad, or broccoli, or steak tips.  I just don't eat like a pig anymore...lol.
Whatever anyone says here....I don't know anyone anymore who is happy with their band...one girl I know up here who wants a revision but can't get one as her insurance won't pay for another WLS has lost 60 lbs. but she still weighs over 200 lbs.  She can't get anymore fill as her stomach won't tolerate any more..the last fill she had prevented her from eating and she could hardly swallow water and she ended up with a UTI.  Her surgeon told her she would do a revision if she lost more weight...then she would remove the band...then wait and do the RNY seperately.  It doesn't matter her insurance won't pay for it...her surgeon is someone that Dr. Lautz knows up here.

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

M. DeVenney
on 6/16/10 6:45 am - Phoenxiville, PA
I received my lapband 3 1/2 years ago. The first year I lost 100 pounds but it wasn't without a lot of suffering. Food felt like it was always getting stuck and I worked out like a marathon runner. Eventually I couldn't tolerate anymore fills because I got GERD/Acid reflux. I eventually got unfilled and have now gained 60 of the 100 pounds back. I am in the process of getting approved for an RNY. If I was able to do it all over again, I would of just gotten the RNY in the begining. I NEVER had a history of acid reflux, heartburn or anything like that. Once I got unfilled, the symptoms all went away! Plus the lapband was unpredictable, one day I could eat eggs, the next I would throw them up. Made eating meals with my family uncomfortable and my little girl would play Barbie's and make them run to throw up during our playtime dinner parties because she was so used to seeing me do it!! I followed the rules, I was very compliant, even my Dr agrees with that, it's just the band isn't for everyone. Best of luck to you with whatever surgery you decide on! 
pandavenise
on 6/16/10 8:19 am
I had my  lapband done a year ago. The most I have lost since the surgery was about 10lbs. I am back to my pre surgery weight. I couldn't handle the fills I have only had 4 fills in a 9cc band. If I had it to do over again I would have not got the band. I too thought it was a better surgery because it was less invasive. I am now looking at doing rny in a month. My doctor told me the lapband has the highest faliure rate of all the surgerys. I don't like the hard knot I have in my stomach from the port. The spot always looks bruised. None of these surgerys are easy. You have to have the mind set to  change your life and they will if  you  do  them right. But you can eat through any of  these surgerys down the road. The ds I hear is good also so I am checking  in on that  one. Good  luck
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/10 9:06 am - Bayonne, NJ
I don't have a lapband, but many of my friends do. Most of them have regained all the weight, a couple have had massive problems (band slippage, a band leak, a port migrating through the skin) and all of them are sorry they went with it. Even the one person I know who is happy never got down to where she would be considered "normal."

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/10 1:24 pm
I had VBG in /87 and then a revision to the Lap-band in April /06, over four years ago.    I've had no complications and glad I was banded.  Good luck whatever wls you end up going with.
bubbles1
on 6/16/10 2:17 pm - Surprise, AZ
I had the band done in 2003 and it did not work for me....I paid cash and depleted all of my savings so that was a major motivator to me to make it work...I am now seeing about a revision to an RNY...I know there is no magic bullet and with all the surgeries you have to work at it...but with the lap band i felt i was on another diet.....then the pain came and then the throwing up came...I can only eat if I drink alittle at the same time...I have to or nothing goes down...and that does not always work either...I do have some co workers who got the band and it worked great for them...but they have only had it a year...i have a couple of coworkers who also had RNY and did great but have since gained some of there weight back...Do your research and make sure you are comfortable with your decision...no matter what it will be a lifestyle change. I truly beleive the band failed me though.

Most Active