I had the Stomaphyx this past week...

wvphotogirl
on 6/14/10 7:11 am - St. Albans, WV
This past week I had a Stomaphyx revision to help with my dumping syndrome and dilated stoma (RNY 2 years ago with NO weight regain). I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences (good and bad) with this procedure. How long did you wait to eat pureed foods? How long were you on soups/puddings? How mush weight have you lost? Any complications? Still feel restriction? Etc. THANKS!!!!
Sumr02
on 6/14/10 1:12 pm
I had the ROSE (same as stomaphyx) done in October09 it doesn't work. I hve not met one person that it has. I lost 15 lbs. but only due to liquid diet following procedure.Follow up endoscopy found stoma larger than before procedure. I have no choice but to do revision.I was supposed to have surgery last week and day before BC/BS denied  one of the reasons was because this would have been 3rd weightloss procedure. They count the Rose,stomaphyx as a bariatric surgery.I'm now waiting on appeal. So everyone who is considering this please think long and hard and do tons of research or you may hurt your chances at a real revision. I'm sorry I don't have anything positive for you and I wish you well and that your the first it works for.
StacysMom
on 6/14/10 2:41 pm, edited 6/14/10 2:42 pm
In the past three years that I have been reading these boards there have been NO success stories with the Stomaphyx or the ROSE procedures. Everyone reported the same thing ... 15 or 20 pounds lost due to the liquid diet, then they gain that right back.

Since you had it for a reason other than weight loss, it may work for your issues. Much luck to you~
baylady35310
on 6/15/10 6:19 am - Millsboro, DE
I had started to gain weight back after having RNY in 2003 and found out my Stoma was stretched after doing research and my friends helping me on the message board I am now waiting approval from Aetna to have DS revision surgery.  Good luck, since you have not tained you might be fine.
jackie j
on 6/16/10 1:04 am - Glenmoore, PA
Can I ask where you are having your DS done and what hoops Aetna put you through for a revision?   I had Keystone back in 2006 when my RNY was done and they were great but I've got Aetna now and hear horror stories.  Also, I'm on the PA/DE border and don't know where to go for a good DS surgeon.  Would appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/10 9:02 am - Bayonne, NJ
The best revision surgeon in the area is Dr. Greenbaum in south Jersey, but he's not taking revision patients until after January because he's backed up.

I have friends with Aetna who didn't seem to have problems, maybe you'll be ok. You could start getting your ducks in a row, going for the 6 month supervised diet with your PCP, etc. and then submit everything to Dr. Greenbaum when he starts accepting patients again.
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/10 9:03 am - Bayonne, NJ
I wish you all the best but how in the heck is the Stomaphyx supposed to help with dumping syndrome? You dump because of the bypass of the duodenum. If that's not put back, dumping syndrome will continue. I lived with it for 6+ years and it sucked beyond sucked.
StacysMom
on 6/16/10 2:30 pm
 Baileymouse,  I was wondering the same thing.   What the heck is the Stomaphyx supposed to do for dumping???   I'm wondering if this doctor is using the surgery "off-label" and using this patient as a Guinea Pig for his experiment?
gigi _
on 6/16/10 3:22 pm, edited 6/16/10 3:22 pm - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I'm sorry to ask this of someone who has just had surgery, but did you ask for opinions BEFORE surgery?  I haven't heard a single good word about this procedure.  I truly wish you the best.
wvphotogirl
on 6/16/10 11:56 pm - St. Albans, WV

Hey guys...

I DID ask questions about the procedure BEFORE I had it done. LOL!!!  This post was more for people who have had the STOMAPHYX. I needed tips on how long I am to expect the liquid diet, how long the restriction lasts, etc. It wasn't  really for opinions on the surgery, etc. I got those PRIOR to surgery (see my other posts). But I do appreciate them regardless. :)

I am below my goal weight and didn't want to lose anymore so I am not using this as a weight loss tool. As for how it helps dumping...(how it was explained to me by my doctor)

My stomas was enlarged so everything I ate was going right through and causing me to dump. Eggs, veggies, meats, bread, EVERYTHING I ate made me sick for the past 2 years. By doing the stomaphyx they tightened the stoma so food can stay in longer and not dump out so quickly. I am one week post op and have not dumped once so I am happy so far.

I guess we'll see how it goes. So far so good.

As for weight loss...I have lost 7 pounds, but don't want to lose anymore. I am starting to look like a skeleton. :(

Most Active