a different kind of revision....

Monica W.
on 6/14/10 11:27 pm
I have had the lap band in for about 2 1/2 years and I was approved for revision to a RNY. Here is the kicker my doctor has revised a couple of patients to rny from band but he leaves the band in and those people I have been told are doing really good. Its totally up tp me if I want to do this or not I will keep everyone posted...

Monica
smileyjamie72
on 6/15/10 1:46 am - Palmer, AK
If I were in your shoes, I would ABSOLUTELY have the doc take OUT the band!!!  I have been reading here for over a year & have seen lots of posts, about the band.

Research, Research, Research!!!!  Get a 2nd, 3rd opinion with different surgeons as well!!!  That WILL pay you back in the long run.

Just my opinion
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Zee Starrlite
on 6/15/10 5:17 am
Hi Monica,

If your band works, why not!

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Monica W.
on 6/16/10 5:32 am
Thanks Leila!
Ms Shell
on 6/15/10 5:35 am - Hawthorne, CA
Hey Monica,

There are quite a few people on this forum who had the RnY and their revision is what they like to call BOB...Band Over Bypass...SO...while this is keeping the band it is an option.

Best of research for you!

MsShell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

candie33
on 6/15/10 9:35 am
I am looking into revision from the band to another surgery.  I think I would just let the band go.  I just don't want to deal with the fills and the other components that go hand and hand with the band.  If the band wasn't effective,  what's going to make the difference? Good luck in your decision.  I just need to put the band behind me and start fresh with something else.  
terilynn112
on 6/15/10 9:33 pm - maryland, NY
While I'm not in the place to really offer this experienced advice. I am going band to bypass in the fall. I want nothing more to do with the band. For me it's been not much more than a problem. Plus my band has slipped.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Kelleigh710
on 6/15/10 11:31 pm
Hey Monica,

I think this one is entirely your call. Beleive it or not, having the band in place along with the gastric pouch is almost like the Fobi Pouch. The Fobi is just like the bypass, but then the pouch is reinforced with a silastic ring as well. That's the same surgery that Roseanne Barr had back in the day and some doctors still prefer this method. Now, I can't spea of my experience with the band, but I have had an RNY 10 years ago aaaaaand, managed to put all of my weight back on. I was young (17) and didn't realize that the malabsorption would ever go away, didn't change my eating habits, and here I am today at the same weight. With that said, I am having a band fitted around my gastric pouch to help with restriction since my pouch is now dilated. So I guess I'm a little opposite of everyone else, I think you should keep it. It can only enhance your weight loss and when thar gastric bypass pouch stretches a little bit (which it will do naturally), that band will keep you on the straight and narrow. You won't need to deal with fills and what not after the bypass because you'll be at max restriction, but if later on down the line you realize you can eat more, well then you have a lovely tool to bring you back to restriction. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!!
Monica W.
on 6/16/10 5:37 am
Thanks Kelleigh!

Like you mentioned my doctor if I choose to let him, it will be an enhancement when the pouch does naturally stretches. It will be like BOB put just reversed so to speak.

Monica
jeanyjane
on 6/16/10 8:21 am - Germany
Has any of you looked into the DS? With the DS, you won`t have a pouch nor a stoma, which means the likelyhood of strechting your stoma will be zero. With a band over bypass, you will have not just a pouch with a stoma AND malabsorbation to worry about, no, you will have an articifial thing in your body which in longterm can cause a lot of complications. The band over bypass is not very effective, by the way... if you need a revision from a failed RNY because malabsorbation stopped and the stoma strechted, really, really look into the DS since that is the only revision that is really effective (and even with the DS; you are NOT guaranteed to loose all the weight you need to loose!!).

If you don`t have a RNY yet, look into the DS even more - it makes so much more sense to go with the more effective surgery. Why bothering about fixing the pouch and the stoma (which are both by their nature prone to strechting out), if you could get a surgery that avoids these problems alltogether??

Just that you will not get this adcive from your surgeon, since he is most likely not qualified to do the DS, so he will try to sell you a less-effective and more complication-prone surgery instead.
Most Active