Revision Rny to DS..why do they remove gallbladder n appendix??

millikan01
on 6/14/10 1:13 am
Hi. I am going for a consult for a revision to DS (open) on this Wed in CA w Dr. Keshishian.
I have heard from others that they automatically as a routine take out the gallbladder and appendix...does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks!
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0
I am staring at Ambition, shaking hands with Success, and smiling at Determination - What are YOU doing? *smirk*

"They ON IT cause they WANT IT!"

JRinAZ
on 6/14/10 1:28 am - Layton, UT
2 little body parts that are not necessary for a good quality of life UNLESS they're are acting up and then you can't get to the O.R. fast enough to get them out.

So, you're already in the O.R., cut open.....removal of the lil buggers saves you pain, suffering and future surgeries.  I wish all surgeons would follow that protocol.  A poor friend just went in for her gallbladder removal; just 6 months after her WLS!!!!  She has more recovery/healing time ahead and time off work.

Say Hi to Dr. K!  You are in GREAT hands!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

millikan01
on 6/14/10 1:34 am
Thanks. I was just confused...I know I dont necessarily need them, but will they be a problem after DS? Why didnt they take them out for the Rny?
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0
I am staring at Ambition, shaking hands with Success, and smiling at Determination - What are YOU doing? *smirk*

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/14/10 2:58 am
Not all surgeon take them out, like mine. I wish he did, because the only thing those organs have the potential for is causing problems.

If they are already in there, and working near those organs, they are doing you a favor by removing them.
millikan01
on 6/14/10 7:58 am
So is there a high percentage of people that have complications with the gallbladder or appendix AFTER DS surgery? I guess I'm trying to find the reasoning for removing it.  I mean, I know they dont really serve a purpose, but there are other things in there they could take out too that i dont need, lol.  I guess I'm trying to get the medical rationale (besides the fact that I may have issues with them later).  I have read about ppl having to go for an additional surgery after their DS to get their gallbladder removed...but I've never had any problem with mine.  Am I making sense..or am I just confused lol.  I guess my real question is, how does DS affect these organs so that post surgery they may give you problems, causing you to have them removed (whereas prior to DS surgery, you have no problems with them)?

=)

My consult is WEDNESDAY...yayy....almost ready for my revision!!
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/14/10 8:53 am
Well, it's not exactly DS specific, but related to weight loss, especially if you lose a lot, or quickly. The weight loss, even without WLS surgery can trigger problems with the gallbladder. I know 2 people that had gall bladder issues after having success with Weigh****chers.

I don't know that weight loss affects the appendix though, and think it just comes out because it's so handy to do during the surgery.

So is Dr K doing yours? I read he's been so busy with revisions, he's not scheduling new ones for a while. You are lucky to have gotten your foot in his door, so to speak, before he did that. He's a great surgeon, you'll be in good hands.

I'm sure he'll have a more exact answer on the gallbladder and appendix question, and would even leave them if you wanted, but don't know why anyone would.

millikan01
on 6/14/10 10:45 am
Thanks!  Makes sense.  Guess maybe he can get in there and move around better without those organs in the way  =)

Yes, Dr Keshishian is doing mine.  I am going to my first consult on Wed just to meet with him.  They told me that I should have no problem scheduling it; I know my insurance will pay so Im trying have surgery as early as the 2nd week in July.  =)
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0

Most Active