Revision needed, Aetna 2nd time around?

gail *
on 6/12/10 2:22 am - Seattle, WA

I need a revision from Lap Band to DS, my first surgery was with Aetna, we're going back for a "revision" due to band issue, major problem with acid reflux and lack of weight loss 60lbs in 3 years..still have 140lbs to lose .. has anyone had problems getting  Aetna to approve 2nd time around?

Thanks much,
gail

Road Less Travelled
on 6/12/10 4:49 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
Road Less Travelled
on 6/12/10 4:50 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
 am going to do the same with Aetna

Band -- needed to loose 160 -- down 60 of which 45 was from the band -- then now up and so only 35 from the band

I want a Sleeve

but can't get a doc appointment until July 7th --

I'll keep you posted
gail *
on 6/12/10 6:04 am - Seattle, WA

My appointment is July 2nd. 

Aetna is now allowing revisions to Sleeves?  I read the only two options were RNY or DS. That's good news :)

I will let you know what happens are my end to.

Road Less Travelled
on 6/12/10 12:37 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
no you are correct -- in the new policy it states they will do a sleeve - but for revisions it states RNY or DS -- neither of which appeal to me

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

Barb R.
on 6/13/10 11:05 am - Troy, MO
Found this on atena sight. Hope it helps.

Repeat Bariatric Surgery:

Aetna considers medically necessary surgery to correct complications from bariatric surgery, such as obstruction, stricture, erosion, or band slippage.

Aetna considers repeat bariatric surgery medically necessary for members whose initial bariatric surgery was medically necessary (i.e., who met medical necessity criteria for their initial bariatric surgery), and who meet either of the following medical necessity criteria:

1. Conversion to a RYGB or BPD/DS may be considered medically necessary for members who have not had adequate success (defined as loss of more than 50 percent of excess body weight) two years following the primary bariatric surgery procedure and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure; or
  2. Revision of a primary bariatric surgery procedure that has failed due to dilation of the gastric pouch is considered medically necessary if the primary procedure was successful in inducing weight loss prior to the pouch dilation, and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure.

Nightowl is My Angel
   BARB
         My Surgeon is Dr. Bernita Bernsten        BMI 47.1
 PRAYING FOR EASY RECOVERY FROM VBG REVISION TO DS

Most Active