well saw the doctor for a revision yesterday

jackie j
on 6/16/10 2:21 am - Glenmoore, PA
You are in the same boat as I but it sounds like your pouch still works much better than mine.  I don't even know I have one.  If you are having hypo episodes, yet have gained this weight while being even 80% compliant, your doc and his nutritionist suck.    Find a second opinion, at least so you don't get down on yourself; malabsorption probably is the reason for your weight gain but NOone should write off your concerns so cavalierly as it seems they are doing.

I've, outside of the first 6 months, never gotten a "full" feeling.   I don't throw up now or feel my pouch.  Ironically, in those first few months when I did throw up when things got stuck it was almost always from carrots or broccolli which I was told (after the fact) we should not be eating anyway (too much sugar in the softened carrots and too fibrous broccoli unless just florets and smashed) so I think, inadvertantly, I stretched mine right from the beginning as my NUT told me eat til you are full so I did.   It always seemed to me I ate alot more than other folks.  It wasn't until I'd started gaining that a different NUT said "measure everything".   When I did, I saw I WAS eating more than other folks but the cat was out of the bag and its appetite was ferocious.   

Also, I don't dump (not to be confused with throwing up from stuck stuff).  So, long story short, I'm back up 65lbs. and have been told I could use the Medifast Bariatric Plan which is what our docs around here use for pre-surg liver prep and for bandies.  (You can google it and print off a pdf.)   I cannot afford its costs so am using Unjury powder instead and just making sure I follow the same protein and time guidelines.   Right now I'm liquid only and whenever I go to the 5&1 obviously if I've shrunken my pouch back I'd have to do 2-3oz meats as 1-7oz at one sitting won't work.  Due to the malabsorption catching up with us this far out, the best advice I can pass on that I've gotten is to stick with the liquid to put you in ketosis for a few months but this time, make the added exercise time heavy weight lifting as that is what changes the metabolism.   You can do cardio til the cows come home and while it exercises the blood pumping mechanisms it doesn't increase metabolism and that what has to change dramatically at this point.   It stinks that we probably need liquid diet, 1hr cardio and 1hr weightlifting 5X a week forever on, but there it is;. bad genes complicated by bad habits previously = hard work now.

I, too, have been pretty compliant through the years but when I look at the MBP guidelines, I see ways to go leaner.   At least look at them and compare them to how you eat and see if you see anything might help you (it's free knowledge).   Without increasing metabolism we are only setting up for failure A THIRD TIME, I am right there with you on that.  Increased Metabolism is the key now.  Not looking forward to this either, feel free to correspond for commiseration if need be.   Good Luck to you.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Butterfli2
on 6/16/10 11:16 am

Wednesday. Not bad- pretty much as I did right after surgery. The main difference being is that I AM  HUNGRY! I really y have to try very hard to not listen to the little devil that sits on my left shoulder. He won’t shut up! Even though I am drinking enough to keep my pouch full- heck it takes me three attempts to get through 8 oz. of protein drink- I still want more. I actually will get a growling pouch within 45 minutes of my shake. I am looking better but hungry and staring to feel that tired run down feeling I had when I was a new post op.

I have been seriously wondering if this is the right path for me the past two days. Your response came at just the right time for me. I hadn’t thought about keeping at it until I got through Ketosis. Then maybe my body will be more ready to go back to working properly. My worry since I started this is that I will just regain again as soon as I get back down to goal weight and off the liquids. I don’t know if mentally I can handle that. Thinking that maybe that will not be the case helps.

I love to lift weights! Resistance training is my passion, cardio- I HATE IT!! The problem with either is that I have this little two year old hanging on my ankles nearly all the time. She is my grandbaby but also legally my daughter. Her momma is slowing coming back into the picture after 2 years and is spending more time with her- but that will only last a bit longer. She is married and pregnant again now.  She won’t be able to handle a two year old and a newborn. For that matter, neither she, nor her husband, currently work so they can’t even afford her and especially not the new one (whom to my great joy is a little boy). Anyway, I digress, I love to go to the gym, but as disrupted as my little one’s life is already- I don’t like leaving her in day care to go and that is really the only time I would remotely have to go. I need to make a more concerted effort to put me first but it is hard.

So in a lot of ways I am really torn up mentally about what to do, and on the other, I am pretty excited to see that going nearly all liquid is helping! I hope it is helping you too. Keep me posted.

Most Active