Band to RNY for me.... Nervous and excited!

terilynn112
on 6/9/10 6:15 am - maryland, NY
Just wanted to introduce myself here on the revision board. I have a lapband (no throwing rotten eggs). I think it could be an awesome tool, but my body has fought it all the way. I got it because of the shorter hospital stay. I got it because I didn't think I had that much to loose. Wrong reasons.

I've had problems with my band from the get go, I've struggled with it for 2 yrs. And I'm done. I saw my surgeon today, we discussed options, and chose the RNY for me. So around September I will go under the knife, as my insurance covers a revision. IF I can get the clearances I need (ie: dietician, psych, cardio, etc).

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

chelle614
on 6/9/10 8:13 am - Chester, NY
I was so glad to get rid of that thing. Congrats on your revision. I had lap-RNY so it's not really going under the knife. I have 6 small insisions, the one the port was taken out of is less than 2 inches and you will have another 2.5-3 inch insion on your left side. That is the biggest one, as it is the one they do most of the work through and takes a little longer to heal. After seeing myself, family members, and so many people here have problems with the band, I seriously hope they stop offering it as a wls choice. If you have any questions about your revision, maybe I can help (if so, write me)

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

terilynn112
on 6/9/10 9:15 pm - maryland, NY
I have tons. I'd love any advice you've got. Did you have a drain when you went home?

Why did you give up on your band?

How is eating? Does it feel different than with the band?

Teri

Teri

chelle614
on 6/10/10 2:52 am - Chester, NY
Hi Terri,
My band damaged my esophogus muscles. They no longer propel food through so I have to drink water at the end of my meals to help with that. Found out in January that my esophogus is swollen 4x the normal size, thus I was eating more from not feeling full. We tried frequent unfills but it didn;t help, so we took the band out and had RNY at the same time. I did lose 120 lbs though in 14 mos originally, but started having problems 2.5 years ago, 2 slipped bands, ect.
Eating is different with RNY. With the band I always felt like the food was sitting right below my collarbone. It was so unpleasant that I subconciously avoided eating. Now I can feel it go right down to my belly area.There are some things I can eat now that don't feel uncomfortable, like a few bites of bread or steak. I wish I had this done originally. Just make sure you keep up with your vitamins, very important. You can leanr more by coming to the RNY board, always helpful info on there.

It's a boy!

JRinAZ
on 6/9/10 10:12 am - Layton, UT
Teri,
Please do more research before settling on a revision to Rny.  From experience....you most likely will be back here in 2 years asking about another revision.  I'm unfortunately the revision queen and try to intercept when I can to direct people to the DS.  It's the one that people end up with when they inevitably have had enough and want to really get serious about health and goal weight!!!!  Skip the Rny and go straight to the DS!!!  www.dsfacts.com

Don't be discouraged if you don't see a surgeon on the list that is near you.  A good portion of us travel to get expert care.  Revisions are risky biz and successful/experienced surgeons are few and far between.

Good luck on your journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

terilynn112
on 6/9/10 9:14 pm - maryland, NY
I have health reasons I can't go DS.

Teri

Teri

MsBatt
on 6/10/10 2:24 am
On June 10, 2010 at 4:14 AM Pacific Time, terilynn112 wrote:
I have health reasons I can't go DS.

Teri
Bummer. I'd be curious to know what they are, 'cause I can't think of any. I see in your profile yu have bad back pain---what do you take for that pain? Do anti-inflammatories help?
chelle614
on 6/10/10 2:36 am - Chester, NY
MsBatt,
I'd be curious to know, is that a recent photo of yourself in your avatar?

It's a boy!

MsBatt
on 6/10/10 4:15 am
On June 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, chelle614 wrote:
MsBatt,
I'd be curious to know, is that a recent photo of yourself in your avatar?
No, it's about 4 years old. Maybe 5.
terilynn112
on 6/10/10 2:50 am - maryland, NY
I take oxycodone, not the long acting.

Teri

Teri

Most Active