see surgeon tomorrow.. nreed help before then

Butterfli2
on 6/8/10 9:10 am

Ok all,  My appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow for a possible revision from RNY to DS.

What kind of questions should I ask him tomorrow? And any suggestion on what I need to tell him as well?

Hi does have experience with RNY to DS. I have two different docs that accept my insurance so I know that already. I will ask him how many he has done. There is another surgeon in the area that has done more according to the referral board here but I am not sure if he still accepts my insurance. I will have to check.

Thanks in advance

StacysMom
on 6/8/10 3:36 pm, edited 6/9/10 1:35 pm
 Please check out the list of vetted DS surgeons on www.duodenalswitch.com.  I don't see your surgeon's name listed there.  If he is NOT on this list, it is HIGHLY unlikely that he has done any RNY to DS revisions, as there are only a handful of docs in the world who have the skill to do it.   He may have done a few VIRGIN open DS surgeries, but not many.   The revision you want is very complex.  Do you really want to be a guinea pig for him?

Chances are, he is going to do the "bait & don't switch", where he convinces you that to do the RNY to DS revision is too risky and dangerous for you and -fill in the blank (whatever revision he DOES do) -  is a "safer" choice for you.  Blah, blah, blah!   He'll probably try to sell you on the Stomaphyx, ROSE, RESTORE or some version of a Distal RNY or ERNY revision.     The endoscopic surgeries don't work and the distal or ERNY revisions have had VERY mixed results.

If you want to put your life in the hands of a doc who would do this to you, that's your business.   If you want a safe revision to the DS from a vetted expert, please go ask on the DS board for the names of RNY to DS revision surgeons who are nearest to you.
Most Active