RNY to Sleeve?

csanddex
on 6/9/10 8:14 am
Anybody heard of this or have it done? What does it consist of, does it work?  Any info anyone has on this would be much appreciated. Thanks-
Libby S.
on 6/9/10 12:26 pm - Mobile, AL
 I am curious about this also.  I had RNY, have gained back about 45% of my weight and have just been approved for revision surgery (stretched opening).  I have an appt with Dr. Bryan Freeman of Anniston on Monday, so I don't yet know what type of surgery he will perform.  He will do an endoscopy and then we will discuss the particulars of my surgery.

I would also appreciate anyone's input about this matter.  Thanks!
rbb825
on 6/9/10 3:47 pm - Suffern, NY
I don't understand why you would go to the sleeve from RNY.  You already have the malabsorbtion, so why not just go the Duodinal Switch?

csanddex
on 6/10/10 6:08 am
Excellent point. I am suppossed to be getting a Band over Bypass on 6-25 in mexico but have been looking at the options. I have spoken to several sleeve patients and they say recovery was reasonable. Two main reasons. One is cash but the other is I do not have the time or emotional energy to recover from the DS. 

I have no evidence other than my imagination but I lost weight while I was pregnant a year or so ago which leads me to believe I just need a bit more restriction.
jeanyjane
on 6/11/10 8:19 pm - Germany
The problem with choosing an uneffective procedure like band over bypass or stomaphyx/ROSE over a DS is that it will not work for most people, and afterwards they will be in even more trouble then before. The longterm sucess rate for the ROSE/stomaphyx is around zero and while band over bypass is better it is not going to work miracles. I am not familiar with your medical history so maybe indeed your are one of the few persons for who it will work well, but please take into account that your metabolism is most likely in worse shape now then a year ago. Restrictive only procedures do not work well for revision patients.
jeanyjane
on 6/11/10 8:12 pm - Germany
RNY to sleeve can be done. The sleeve is the first part of the DS and so everyone who goes from RNY to DS gets a sleeve too. BUT RNY to sleeve is probably not helping much if you do it to loose more weight and keep it off. The sleeve is purely restrictive and if you failed with the RNY, that´S most likely not enough to loose a significant amount of weight and keep it off. If your pouch has strechted, you`d likely have a lot more restriction with the sleeve, but after having lost a lot of weight with the RNY and gained it back, your metabolism will be wrecked, and that means regain is very, very likely. So if you need a revision from the RNY because of lack of weight loss, tthe DS is usually the way to go. Much more effective. The risky part of the RNY to DS revision is the transformation of the RNY pouch into the sleeve, which means that with the RNY to sleeve revision you`ll take all the risks of a full RNY to DS revision, but you won`t get the full benefits.  dont think an experienced revision doc would do the RNY to sleeve anyway..

However, if you need a revision because you can`t keep food down/intolerances, the RNY to sleeve might be a good option.

@ Libby: Have you done your homework? Have you researched all revision options? Which revision do you want? Which revision does your doc perform? Revisions are a very serious business and unfortunately, the "safe and easy" revision options usually don`t work well. Thats band over bypass and stomaphyx and ROSE. I am not familiar with your surgeon`s name which means he is probably not doing RNY to DS revisions (or he is not experienced enough to be talked about here), and that means you won`t hear all your options from him. He will try to sell you what he does (which will probably be band over bypass or ROSE/stomaphyx). YOu NNED to be your own advocate and research what is best for you!!
anonymous4now
on 7/2/10 1:12 am
My mom had RNY in 2003, reaching her goal weight of 140 lbs from 270 lbs. Now, 7 years later, she is feels that the sleeve is a better option for her. So even though she doesn't need the revision of RNY to Sleeve to lose more weight, the possiblity of future issues with malapsorption bothers her.

Has anyone ever had this revision done, and how did it go?

p.s. please no arguing over malabsorption with RNY.. i've noticed sometimes people get a little off track on these message boards
Most Active