Help! have gained 2/3 of my weight back after lap-RNY, need revsion

QBB
on 6/8/10 6:52 am - MD
Hi All,

Help! I need advice on revision surgery!  I had my lap-rny in Sept 2003. I started at 450lbs.  I was very sick after the 1st week and was in the hospital for 1 month with pancreatitis.  I lost 125lbs within the 1st year. Then I started to gain after my first year.  I found out I had a fistula! So that had to be fixed.  I don't know if it worked but I have gained 2/3 of my weight back!  I have been looking into a revision as I have experienced most of the factors that cause wls failure. I'm 395lbs now ! My doctor charges $7000 for the stomaphx and I don't want to pay that if it does not work.  Any thoughts on the better curse of action for revision surgery?

Q
philipwife
on 6/8/10 12:19 pm - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14

I want to try revision to lap band over bypass but i dont have my husband support so it doesnt look good for me at this time. I go for endoscopy tomorrow morning.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

MsBatt
on 6/9/10 6:11 am
Stomaphyx is a waste of money. I strongly urge you to consider a revision to the DS, the most effective form of WLS available.
Michelle H.
on 6/9/10 10:59 am - Canada
Listen to MsBatt... Don't waste your money on the Stomaphyx or the Rose procedure they don't work and are a waste of time and money.

I am an Rny and revising to the DS. I am very excited about my future on the Dark Side. Check out the DS board and go read www.dsfacts.
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

flucca
on 6/10/10 3:07 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
TEAZ-

Have you actually had an in person consult with Dr. Gagner?  Is his new practice open?  Do you have any current contact info for him?

StacysMom
on 6/9/10 1:39 pm
 I don't know why everyone calls the DS surgery "the dark side".   Everyone should call it  "the SMART SIDE"!!!   One surgery - that works - no need for multiple revisions, adjustments, etc.

If only people would stop listening to RNY docs putting down the DS and get their own info .....

MsBatt
on 6/10/10 2:35 am
Several years back, there was a pic floating around of Darth Vader with a caption that read "Come over to the Dark Side---we have cookies." The DSers have sort of adopted that saying because, well, the initials "DS" and---we have cookies. (*grin*)
QBB
on 6/11/10 1:44 am - MD
Thank you all...I willhave to find out more about the DS.  Does you insurance cover it if they alredy paid for the previous wls? I have an appt with my surgeon on July 21th (1st appt I could get).  I am trying to get as much info as I can before I see him.  He alredy mentioned the stomaphhx when i saw him last yr.  I have had so many other issues (low protein, low iron, anemia, transfusions due to excessive blood loss which led me to my hysterectomy in October). I'm just now going back to him to get back on track.

Q
QBB
Lap RNY 2003 (lost 125lbs/gained 85 back)
Revsion 2010

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/10 8:40 pm - Bayonne, NJ
My insurance covered my RNY in 2003 and my DS revision in 2009.  I had low labs, too, and I'm doing better on the vitamin regimen since the DS.
Most Active