RNY to DS Lap

transformer34
on 6/8/10 12:07 am - Kissimmee, FL
Any one had this switch done  laproscopicly?
flucca
on 6/8/10 6:27 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
I know someone who had it done lap by Dr Gagner even though the original surgery was done open, but good luck finding Dr. G, as he seems to be MIA for some time now.  I had a consult with Dr. Pomp at NYU who worked with Dr. Gagner, he says the revision can be approached lap, but may or course turn into an open procedure. In any event it would be a staged procedure, with the first surgery to take down the pouch and create the sleeve, and the second to complete the switch. It is his opinion that doing it all at once is just too much operative time for most patients.  Since he is one of the most experienced lap DS surgeons in the country, I'd put considerable value in his opinion.  Most surgeons I have researched will only approach this revision open.  Any way you look at it, it is extensive surgery, and much more likely to have complications than a virgin procedure.  Best of luck with everything.
MsBatt
on 6/9/10 6:13 am
Dr. Pomp is getting a bad rep for doing the Sleeve first, and then NEVER doing the second half of the switch. (This is with 'virgin' DS patients as well as revision patients.) You might want to consider a different surgeon.
SassyNicole
on 6/8/10 7:46 am, edited 6/8/10 7:47 am - Harrisville, UT
yep....had my revision done lap on May 7th......doing GREAT and completly back to normal life. If you have anymore specific questions just let me know I'll help ya if I can!! Mine was all done in one surgery and only took about 4 1/2 hours....had zero complications and everything went extremly smoothly.

Nicole
flucca
on 6/8/10 7:50 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I forgot to mention that my original RNY was open, as I understand it that may be a factor in the difficulty in doing the revision lap.  I have heard it said that having the original surgery open could possibly cause significant adhesions and make the revision more difficult. 

Most Active