Band over Bypass

nannetteb
on 6/7/10 1:38 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of having a bad over bypass.....this left over weight will not defeat me, it has to go.  Anyone who has had the band over bypass, left me know how it worked out.   thank you !!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXZzQh0/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wXZzQh0/s-weight.png">>

millikan01
on 6/7/10 11:45 pm
I dont have BOB, and I wouldn't revise to it.  Most effective revisions are to the DS.  I don't really know of anyone who has had it, that may be why there is a lack of responses.  I spoke to 3 surgeons across the country who all said the same thing...its a waste of money and time (sort of like the Rose Procedure).  If you have a bypass that isnt working as well, sticking a band on top of it wont do much better.  I would suggest that you check out www.dsfacts.com and do some research so that you can revise to something that will have the best long term benefits.

I myself have a rny and I am revising in July.  Good luck!
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0
I am staring at Ambition, shaking hands with Success, and smiling at Determination - What are YOU doing? *smirk*

"They ON IT cause they WANT IT!"

Kelleigh710
on 6/8/10 2:36 am
I am revising to a band over bypass on 6/29/10. There actually is NO shortage of people on here that have had it done and have been successful with it. Please look up and contact members LisaBeezee, Jaxmom, Amandah628, and JeannieBVA1. Both Jeannie and Lisa are over 1 year out and have lost at least 80 pounds each. I completely understand that the DS is the gold standard, but not all of us have the money to pay for it, or have the desire to have a major surgery again. You will have to work harder with the band and make a lifestyle change in order for it to work, but it will certainly get you to where you want to be if you can do that. Good Luck!
anniebee
on 6/13/10 1:53 pm
I don't post very often but I felt that I had to say something positive here to the OP about the band over bypass consideration. I was in the same boat back in 2008. I had my original RNY in 1997, lost 200 lbs after starting at 366, stayed there for almost nine years and then gradually started to gain weight. Eventually I made my way back to 247 and was always hungry and frustrated, and often in pain. I consulted a wonderful surgeon who determined that I had several problems - a stretched anastomosis, a fistula, and a big hernia, so he corrected everything and banded it in December of 2008. Since then I have gone back to eating properly, exercising (and I am a certified couch potato!) on a regular basis - you'd be amazed at what just walking will do for you, and I'm now back at 166 lbs. It DOES work, if you work with it. Don't expect any of these surgeries to be the answer if you don't change what's inside your head. DS is not the only solution. Many of us have had success with other forms of the revision surgeries, just as we have had success (or failure) with various forms of the our original surgeries. Best of luck to you in whatever path you choose to take.
Annie
philipwife
on 6/15/10 4:27 am - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
Thanks for your post Annie.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

MsBatt
on 6/15/10 7:36 am
" Don't expect any of these surgeries to be the answer if you don't change what's inside your head."

I beg to differ. Not everyone's problem with obesity is psychological. Some of us simply have an over-efficient metabolism that's geared towards hanging onto every calorie possible.

As one DSer friend of mine is fond of saying "I didn't need to get right with food---food needed to get right with ME."
robinlloyd2008yahoo.
ca

on 6/20/10 7:36 am - sarnia, ON
i wish you luck but i would not do the band check into vsg or ds but stay away from the band i know from experience it  was the worst mistake of my life goodluck  robin
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 4:03 am - AZ

Going from bypass to sleeve is not overly effective.  They would have to completely take down RNY and do a sleeve.  If they are going that far they might as well go the distance and do DS

After they have had RNY they are basically metabolically challenged so most need more than restriction alone.

wickedelphie
on 7/7/10 2:12 am - Yonkers, NY
I was just approved yesterday for a Band over Bypass on July 29th. I am so excited! I really changed my eating habits and worked hard with my RNY but in the last year I have eaten good food but just sooooooo much more! I really need the volume control that a band will provide. I didn't work with the bypass by exercising like I should have, I concetrated soley on completely changing my food tastes and eating habits. This time my goal is to work with the weight loss and really change my exercise habits. I am so encouraged seeing people have had sucess with this type of revision. I know the band is really a love it/hate it item, but I know what I am getting myself into.

I just wanted to know, I am going to Cancun 4 weeks after my proceedure...do any of you forsee that being a problem? I am not worried about the eating on vacation because I don't eat that much there and they have wonderful fresh food choices.
Brigette
RNY Sept 16,2005 330lb-->239lbs 
Band over Bypass 7/29/10 

Most Active