Band to RNY- not losing and frustrated!!

chelle614
on 6/7/10 5:55 am - Chester, NY
Hi all,
I had a revison 7 weeks ago. Lost 7 lbs the first 2 weeks and am now at a stall. I am frustrated and depressed, and need to lose about 25 more. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong....protien, water, excercise, ect. Especially since I am now malabsorbing half of what I eat. If you had band to bypass how long did it take to lose extra weight? I didn't have this surgery to struggle like this, and I can only imagine I'll gain weight in 18 months when my malabsorbing stops. I have a whole summer wardrobe packed away  that I can't even use. I feel absolutely horrible, and like a failure. Any one else have this problem?

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

pandavenise
on 6/7/10 1:21 pm
I don't know what is going on I have seen several people that are so happy to have a revison to rny from the band. This kind or scares me because I am getting a revision from the band to rny. I have about  80 lbs to lose. Please keep my address and let me know how you are doing. Thanks Panda.  [email protected]
Angie T.
on 6/7/10 8:46 pm - Somewhere, NY
HI,
  I've also gone from lap band to RNY. Lost 39lbs since the RNY which was 10/29. NOT GOOD!  Doc said my pouch is bigger than the normal RNY pouch due to first having the lap band, and cutting below where that sat to avoid scar tissue. In addition, I lost the initial "bulk" of my weight (70, but gained back 20 when un filled)

I've found that I plateau for a longer period of time than the average person, but eventually the scale does move. My advise is to log what you eat to see what may work and what slows you down. Also, my size moves even if the scale is not moving so Hang in there!

Question for you, Do we really start to absorb after 18months?  I didnt know the malabsorbtion stops after 18monts

Kindness Matters  

Angie

chelle614
on 6/7/10 10:08 pm - Chester, NY
Hi Angie, thanks for your response. Yes, we RNY'rs stop malabsorbing calories and fats at about 18 mos-2 years. Vitamins, never. That is why they call the first 18 mos the honeymoon period. I am still wondering where my honeymoon period is, honestly. I've even cut my diet down to where I am eating barely any fat. And, every day I have a big bowl movement (sorry TMI) so I am wondering what the heck THAT is if its not some excess weight. Again, I only started off with 35 lbs to lose since my revision but I never thougt the numbers would STOP 2 weeks out.
"""sigh"""

It's a boy!

hollyberries
on 6/8/10 10:33 am - Carver, MA
Hi Chelle,

My doctor told me that with Band to RNY it would be slower for us, since we lost weight already with the band.  We are currently already eating smaller portions.  I didn't set any goals for what I would or would not lose but I must admit it drops in chunks.  I might not see any weightloss on the scale for days/weeks but then all of sudden woosh. 

I agree with the previous poster that it may not be in weight but it sure is in sizes.  I have lost 52lbs since February 1st and have gone from a size 26 to 20.  The sizes are moving faster than the scale and I can't seem to figure it out...LOL!  I may have lost more because I needed to lose about 130 or so lbs still even after band surgery. 

Hang in there it might be a snails pace but it does work.  My appetite and ability to eat is so much less that we are bound to lose.  Make the right choices and it will pay off. 

Good luck and keep your chin up.

Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

MsBatt
on 6/9/10 6:17 am
What makes you think you're only absorbing half what you eat? Studies show that non-ops absorb around 92% of the fat they eat, while RNYers absorb 62%. (DSers absorb a whopping 19%.) I've not seen the figures for protein and complex carbs for RNYers, but it's safe to say that RNYers are absorb more than DSers, since the DS has a much greater bypass---and we absorb around 50 of protein and 60% of complex carbs.
chelle614
on 6/9/10 6:22 am - Chester, NY
What makes me think I am absorbing 50% is all of the online research, pre-op paperwork, and books I've read on RNY. I've already had surgery, but thank you for that helpful info on DS.

It's a boy!

MsBatt
on 6/10/10 2:24 am
Would you care to send me links to some of that research? Because I've NEVER found anything that said that about the RNY.
chelle614
on 6/10/10 2:31 am - Chester, NY
Yanno what? I am really not in the mood to debate RNY/DS benefits, so I really am not interested in finding any links for you. Feel free to look it up yourself. The fact is, both you and I have already had surgeries so there is no reason to do this. On the contrary, the title of my post was labled Band to RNY...since you have had neither and have no valuble advice or input for me, I really don't know why you bothered to reply to this thread. I am glad you are happy with your DS though and good luck.

It's a boy!

Most Active