mucus plug vs dumping?

wbh1964
on 6/6/10 4:13 am - Greensboro, NC

This question is for those of you that revised your lap band into RNY.  I currently have the lap band and am scheduling as I type my RNY.  I have had 2 lap bands and have horrible issures...one being a horrible pain and finally throwing up what is called a mucus plug when my food gets stuck...which is quite often :( ... so my question is, when I hear of RNYers talk of throwing up OR dumping...is that similiar to the one bite syndrome/mucus plug of our feed being stuck?  Is it as painful?...and is there such a thing as the one bite syndrome with the RNY?
Thanks so much!!!

smythe1
on 6/7/10 12:19 am
I would look into the DS surgery there is no dumping, because they do not remove the valve that is at the bottom of the stomach....but please double check
Monique H.
on 6/7/10 1:45 am
Let me start by saying that I've never had the lapband, but throwing up and dumping are two different things. Actually after rny it seemed really hard for me to throw up. There are times when I wish I could because I felt so nauseous, but when I tried I couldn't. With dumping I think you may break out in a sweat, feel sick, have heart palpitations, diarrhea and or other symptoms. There is a such thing as taking one bite too many and being too full, but I'm not sure what one bite means with the lapband. Unless it's like my sister when she takes a bite of something and it gets stuck and she has to sit there and deal with the pain until it comes back up or either shoots down as she calls it. I hope this helps some and maybe some more revision people will post soon.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Debba
on 6/7/10 6:54 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
I'm a revised lapband to RNY girl.  The mucus/puking issue and dumping are two completely different things.  For the last 2-3 months prior to my band removal I was puking just about every night.  I've had the revision now for 1 year and haven't puked since.  Dumping is when sugar or high carbs enter your system too fast (because of the revised plumbing inside) and you may break out in a sweat, get heart palpitations and generally just feel lousy.  It may last from 10-30 minutes and you just have to lay down and let it pass.  I, personally, do not dump. 

I do believe I still have that one bite syndrome, but not to the point where if I have that one bite I will vomit.  I just know when I can't take one more bite - and if I do I'm just uncomfortable for a bit... no puking!  All I can say is I'm sorry I didn't go with RNY the first time around.  Hope this helps!!

Debbie Joy

MsBatt
on 6/10/10 2:33 am
I'm not a revision patient, so I've never experienced either dumping or throwing up a mucus plug. But I CAN tell you that neither of those things happen with either the Sleeve or the DS. Both the Sleeve and the DS preserve the normal anatomy of the stomch, complete with the pylorus. The stomach still does everything a stomach is supposed to do---it just doesn't hold much food. (*grin*)
Angie T.
on 6/11/10 7:21 am - Somewhere, NY
I've experienced "stuck" with my band and throwing up as a result of it. Since my RNY, I've never thrown up. Things do not get stuck and I can eat anything! Unlike with the band, there were foods I couldnt tollerate
Good luck

Kindness Matters  

Angie

StacysMom
on 6/11/10 6:39 pm, edited 6/12/10 4:36 am
 "Let me start by saying that I've never had the lapband, but throwing up and dumping are two different things. Actually after rny it seemed really hard for me to throw up. There are times when I wish I could because I felt so nauseous, but when I tried I couldn't. With dumping I think you may break out in a sweat, feel sick, have heart palpitations, diarrhea and or other symptoms. There is a such thing as taking one bite too many and being too full, but I'm not sure what one bite means with the lapband. Unless it's like my sister when she takes a bite of something and it gets stuck and she has to sit there and deal with the pain until it comes back up or either shoots down as she calls it. I hope this helps some and maybe some more revision people will post soon."

Please note that the person who said the comment (above) is referring to her RNY, not the DS surgery.  She did not specify which surgery she was referring to when describing her past symptoms.    She was also already revised once from the regular (proximal) RNY to the ERNY (Extended RNY) or a distal RNY for more malabsorption, but has not yet gotten the DS surgery.   I thought it might be confusing to those reading because under her name, it says she's getting a revision with Dr. Keshishian (who is known for revising from RNY to DS among other things).  With the DS surgery there is NO dumping, nor are the problems with food getting stuck, as there is no pouch - there is a normally functioning stomach with the pyloric valve intact and left alone.

Please consider the DS and don't go for the RNY - fight for the best surgery you can get.   The one with the greatest record of success for excess weight lost and the one requiring the least amount of revisions.   I have seen so many people revise from the lapband to RNY and still not achieve the success they so deserve after two surgeries.   If you can't get approved for the DS, see if you can get the sleeve.   Just don't get that pouch!  

Also, please note that the people who are piping up about their success and comfort with the RNY are RECENT patients.    Go and meet with some people who have been living with the RNY for 10 years and see if they've gained weight back.   Ask them about their diet and exercise habits.  

From what I've read on here and among the people I personally know, the only ones who have been successful long term with the RNY are those who have COMPLETELY  revamped their lifestyle (I'm talking working out every day, becoming personal trainers, running marathons, taking day-long hikes, eating nothing but chicken breasts and veges, etc.).   Those who benefitted from the surgery within the first few years, but who kept eating the same diet they always had, have all gained weight back.     Some almost ALL of their weight and some only half.    One did fine between years 1 and 5, then in years 5-7 gained back 40 lbs per year for a total of 80 lbs, when she had lost 160.   Everyone thinks it will never happen to them.   Then it does and they are looking for revisions.   Remember, the RNY is only supposed to be effective for losing 1/2 of your excess weight in the LONG TERM.  This includes the "bounce back" weight.    There is little in the world which is worse than losing 160 lbs, having your tummy tucked and your boobs lifted and then gaining back 80 lbs of it and stretching out that skin again.

emtgirl28
on 9/12/13 9:16 pm - Muscadine, AL

Not all RNY are horror stories. My mom had her RNY 11 years ago and has kept the whole 130 pounds she lost off. she eats anything she wants except really rich/ sweet stuff.

Monique H.
on 6/14/10 4:42 am
If you reread my post I think you will see the part where I said ACTUALLY AFTER RNY IT SEEMED REALLY HARD FOR ME TO THROW UP. Which means I WAS referring to rny.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active