Be brutally honest please.................

baylady35310
on 6/5/10 8:04 am - Millsboro, DE
I am waiting for approval from Aetna to have a revision from Laproscopic RNY to open DS, all my clearances have been done, I am so excited, I am hoping to hear this coming week and be given a surgery date.  Okay here goes.  I am close to 60BMI, what should I expect?  How big is the incision? How much pain should I be in the first week, 2nd week, can I go back to work the 3rd week, I work from home have an office in my home but sit behind a desk at a computer all day.  Is there any reason why when they go to do my DS surgery open that they might not be able to do it?  These are all questions I was going to ask Dr. Greenbaum when I met with him after my insurance approval but I just can't wait.  Tell me please........................... Thank you all, I love this website, I have learned so much and so appreciate all your information you have shared, I am waiting to hear from you, tell me all!!!!!!
baylady35310
on 6/5/10 9:57 am - Millsboro, DE
Come on be honest, I can't be the heaviest that is having revision, come on help me!
shele
on 6/5/10 10:13 am

hey, My incision is from my sternum to my belly button. I did have moderate pain, but I actually had worse pain after my lap rny! I get spasms, and with the open I felt them coming on and my surgeon made short work out of them.  He did not want me in pain, which I LOVED!!!

I think it is so different for everyone.  You should go over to the ds board, there are lots of revisioners there and will probably get your wnswers much quicker than here, as this is pretty slow.

Good luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Barb R.
on 6/5/10 11:25 am - Troy, MO
Have you posted this on the DS board. They will be brutally honest.  Check out dsfacts.com.
                           Nightowl is My Angel
   BARB
         My Surgeon is Dr. Bernita Bernsten        BMI 47.1
 PRAYING FOR EASY RECOVERY FROM VBG REVISION TO DS

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/10 9:14 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I can't juge the length of my revision scar well because in between RNY & my DS I had an anchor cut tummy tuck & hernia repair.

Right now my scar is a little over 1 inch below my belly button, and and about 4" above. I'm 5'3". The line is long & thin, healed really well, and looks as good if not better than the scar left by the plastic surgeon. Dr. Greenbaum is an excellent closer, my husband & I were both impressed with the thin, even scar.

My BMI was closer to 40 than 60 for my revision, but the incision is the incision, it's what's necessary. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Debbie M.
on 6/5/10 11:05 pm
Congrats on your upcoming revision, it is an exciting time.
Speaking for myself - my BMI was 54 at the time of my revision.  I was off for 6 weeks and needed every minute of it.  I also work from a home office and if forced might have been able to return at 5 weeks but not a minute more.  My scar is from sternum to top of my belly button.  That scar doesn't bother me as much as the ones left behind from the drains and feeding tube.  I don't really care about any of it because no matter how thin I get, my 2 piece bathing suit days are over.
Best of luck,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

MaryJo1967
on 6/7/10 3:16 pm - Sherwood, OR
Hi! 

I had a revision from RNY to DS on April 7th of this year.  Like you, I was super curious about what the recovery would be like.  My RNY in 2004 was open and healed very quickly and easily from that surgery, so I was hoping for the same experience with the revision.  Last year I had a hernia repair along the same incision as the open RNY so this time would be the 3rd time I'd been opened from sternum to navel. 

With all that said, my recovery from the revision was a *****  A lot of pain, and very different things to get a handle on regarding what you can eat and what you can't in the beginning.  The beauty of DS is that this changes over time as the sleeve stretches some...you can eat more easily (without indigestion) and normal amounts.  However, in the first few months...it's hard.  Because it's such a technically complicated surgery, the recovery time is longer.  In my case, I had so many adhesions from the other two abdomnial surgeries the doc had to spend a lot more time taking them down.  I had my drainage tubes in for 6 weeks...and the feeding tube in that long too. 

It's important to remember that there is a high risk of leaks with this type of revision (rny-ds).  They won't necessarily have to go back in to operate when someone has a leak...more commonly they take nothing by mouth for several weeks until the leak heals itself.  Nutrition and water is taken through the feeding tube. 

Things are normalizing now...and I've lost 36 pounds.  Not bad considering I was pretty much a couch potato for 6 weeks.  Now that I'm pretty much fully recovered, up and moving...the weight is dropping off much faster. 

I agree that you will need every bit of the 6 weeks recovery period.  You're body is just wiped out after that kind of intense surgery...and working hard to heal.  You'll be tired...weak...queasy....and gernerally down (common oafter major surgery).  But keep your chin up...because it won't last forever...AND...you'll be losing weight again - this time knowing that your chances of keeping the weight of is over 85%!!!!!  Way better than the 50% with the RNY we had before!  :) 

Best wishes to you!  Keep us posted!

-Mary
transformer34
on 6/7/10 11:57 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Has anyone had the RNYto DS as lap?? I heard it was possible.
MsBatt
on 6/9/10 6:19 am
It's possible. It just depends on what your surgeon finds when he starts poking instruments into you. (*grin*)
Most Active