Opinions on revision from band to VSG

mallrat
on 6/3/10 9:17 am - St Peters, MO
I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have gotten insurance approval for a revision.  This is my situation.   I had my original band placed in Sept 06.   Had a really bad slip and ended up in hospital for 2 days with extreme dehydration in Oct 07.   I had the band completely unfilled for several months and went back to getting fills.   Everything was fine til Aug 08 when I started having trouble keeping any food or water down at all.   Ended up back iin ER and hospital for 4 days that time.   I had to have emergency surgery to have the band removed, due to a severe slip.   My doctor was not able to replace band or do any other surgery due to inflammation in my stomack.   I wanted to revise to VSG but at that time my insurance UHC was not covering the sleeve.   I decided stupidly, to try  a second band thinking the same thing wouldnt happen with a second band.  Yeah right.   Anyway,  I had to fight with insurance to pay for the second band because my weight was below the required amt to qualify for the surgery.  I finally got approved for the second band surgery, after gaining about 50 lbs back and had the second band done in May 09.   Started getting fills again, and found out I had another slip in Feb 10.   I had the band half unfilled and waited a month and had an upper GI.  Band is stil slipped.   Had the rest of the fill taken out and had another upper GI this past Tuesday.   The band is back in place.  

Sorry for the long post, but this whole experience with the band has not been a good one for me.  Im sure it works for some people but apparently I'm not one. of them.   I went back to see my doctor today and told him even though the band is back in place, I have no confidence it wont slip again.  It seems like as soon as I get decent restriction it slips.   He agreed.   My insurance UHC now covers the sleeve.   My BMI is 34.7.   I am 2 lbs away from being at 35.  According to my insurance bariatric policy you need to be at least a 35 BMI with one co-morbidity and I have 2.  High blood pressure and high cholesterol.    They are supposed to call my insurance and check into the revision and call me.   I just dont know how UHC is about approving revisions. 

I just wanted opionions on what anyone thinks of my chances of getting an approval for revision due to my horriible history with the band.   If they deny me I am going to appeal appeal appeal. 

Again. sorry for the long post.

Road Less Travelled
on 6/7/10 1:12 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
Road Less Travelled
on 6/7/10 1:13 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I had wished someone had replied to you

I have not had those kind of problems with the band -- rather it's full to the max and still not enough restriction - thus no more weight loss

I have an appointment with the doc in July -- I want to revise to a sleeve -- and look forward to if he'll think aetna will go for it

my BMI is still over 40 -- so I hope it's possible
mallrat
on 6/7/10 1:44 pm - St Peters, MO
Good luck with getting your approval for a revsion.  I would think since you have had the band for so long, and it hasnt worked for you , you should get approval.   I  just dont know how hard it is to get approval for a revision.   I know that if I am denied for some reason, I am going to appeal as far as I can.
MsBatt
on 6/10/10 2:30 am
Well, obviously, they *should* approve, given all your problems, but---we all know it's more about the almighty$ than what's in your best interest.

Something I'm going to bring up since you have high cholesterol problems---have you considered the full DS rather than the Sleeve? With the DS, you'd only absorb around 20% of the fat you eat, while REALLY helps with cholesterol issues. Everyone in my family, including me, have hereditary cholesterol issues. Since my DS, I eat a LOT of fat---and my total cholesterol is 112.

I'd think this would also give you an excellent arguement for 'medical necessity' if you have to appeal.
Most Active