LAPBAND TO ?? REVISION

Kae B.
on 6/2/10 12:07 am
6/2/10

I just posted on Rants and Raves and then came here.  I've been seeing revisions from Gastric Bypass to the Duodenal Switch.  

Have any of you revised from a lapband - if so, please post here so I can hear about it.

I have stopped losing weight after 18 months - 60 lbs - I have a 14cc lapband after
10fills have 9.6.  No restriction, no help.  I'll be 62 and am very very upset as I have been
very committed and follow the lapband rules.  I was afraid to have gastric because of the
mortality rates 1/200.  I didn't have severe co-morbidities: diabetes, apnea.  High bp controlled with meds.

I'm sick of complaining and need action and help.

Thank you.

K
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 12:28 am - NJ
I posted this on R&R too.....wasn't sure if you would come back there or not!

Hi -

I had the band too - I got it in June 2008, and my reflux was so bad that I had to get it removed in March 2009.  I lost between 15 and 20 pounds with the band.  I went with the band because it was the "easier, less complicated and didn't have to be re-arranged" surgery too.  I never had the "spot" either because when I had fluid in my band I would vomit all the time.  When it was empty, it was like having nothing.

I also never liked being able to feel the port under my skin.

I revised to RNY in April 2009 and have lost 106 pounds (from my heaviest when I got banded), and I am at my goal weight.  I felt restriction immediately with my RNY too.

Make sure you document your reflux, as that was why I was able to have the revision.  Not because of poor weight loss.  I made sure that both my PCP and surgeon knew I was suffering with it.  After the second fill and emergency unfill the next day, it was time to have it removed.  My band was empty for about a month before I had it removed (to let the swelling go down a bit).

Hope you are able to find a solution!

Kae B.
on 6/2/10 12:33 am
Thank you!  The reflux was not a big problem - just that one time and it was right around the
time that I stopped losing weight.  I went on an antiacid for a month.  This is so frustrating - its
been 18 months and I'm at a standstill.

K
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 2:19 am - NJ
That really stinks.  I know a few people who have been successful with the band, but there are far more people I know who have not been successful.  

I know one person who has kept off her weight with the band; however, she has had her band for like 3 or 4 years now and still hasn't lost all the weight she needs to lose.  She has kept off about 60 pounds.

You may need the malabsorption that either the DS or RNY provides in order to lose weight.  Restriction alone doesn't work for a lot of folks.  
Monique H.
on 6/2/10 12:53 am
I would post this over on the DS Board as well. I've seen quite a few who have gone from lapband to DS.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
mrlddst
on 6/2/10 1:06 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I am looking in to a lapband revision. I am leaning towards the VSG, there are many people over on that board who have done the same as well.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 1:44 am, edited 6/2/10 1:44 am - TN
I see you found the right board. I am sorry if you saw my previous response (on R&R) as snarky. What I meant was that it sounded like you've tried real hard with the band, so, barring a miracle, you may want to consider a revision.
Kae B.
on 6/2/10 2:03 am
Thanks, I find it's hard to be objective and think clearly in the midst of emotions and big decisions. 
K
pandavenise
on 6/2/10 2:34 am
I too have the lap band and am having a revision in July . I have read a lot about ds on their board . It sound good but I think that the drs are more ap to go that way for people with really high BMI. My doctor doesn't do the ds and I have been looking at other drs. I probably go with the rny because I have all diet documentation with him and am looking at July. I have had my band for  a year and only lost  about 15 lbs and am back to my weight at my  surgery. I would never do  the band again.  I don't like That knot in my stomach from the port . I think with the ds you don't have as much dumping and can eat a little better but less malabsoration. Good luck and let me know  what you have de****d and how it goes.
Most Active