Need Advice/Opinions Please!!

thenecklacelady
on 5/30/10 10:47 am
 It's all coming together for me now.  

I was vacillating between my previous surgeon and Dr. Aceves, but between other opinions and my own gut feelings, I have chosen to have my revision with Dr. A.  I had a partial sleeve with my original surgeon in December 2008.  I never felt like I have had much of a restriction and my x-rays at Dr. Aceves confirmed the reason why.  Now Dr. Aceves is going to complete my sleeve on June 14th.  It will cost more, but I have such a feeling of relief knowing that he's the one that's going to do my revision, I can't even explain the difference in how I feel!!  If he can't make the sleeve tighter, he'll do a DS.

I had scheduled an appointment with my original surgeon to convert to a RNY on June 18th.  I have to cancel that appointment.  I want to be honest with her, but don't want to hurt her feelings at all.  She is a great person, very nice and kind, and did the best job for me that was within her scope.

It was generous of her to offer the revision at an extremely reduced price.  However, I absolutely don't want a RNY.  I asked her about making a tighter sleeve, and she said that she just doesn't do that in her practice.  She routinely makes a larger upper stomach to prevent leakage.  I respect that.   She also said a DS would not be a possibility for me.  

Rationally I'm thinking... it should be easy to call and say CANCEL the appointment!  But.... something in me feels like that would just be so rude because of her generous offer.  Ack! 

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can remain kind and cancel the appointment?  What the heck should I say?  Complete honesty?  

I feel weird switching surgeons at the last minute, but I have to follow my instincts!

d_big_journry
on 5/30/10 11:18 am
WOW!  this is your body!  Go  with your gut & reserach!!  This is major lifetime surgery.  Not to be taken lightly.  Personnly I not worried about hurting someone feelings.  I am 10 day post op from Bnaster to RY  just curious  why are you so against the ry ?  I chose it over the sleeve.  best wishes
thenecklacelady
on 5/30/10 2:14 pm
 I don't want the bypass (RNY) because of the malabsorption issues and possibility of dumping syndrome.  There's none of that with the sleeve.  I've actually resolved all of this in my head after talking to my friend here at work.  I know now that I'm going to call her on Tuesday and tell her that I'm cancelling the surgery for now.  That's really all I have to say.  

EastCoastGal
on 5/31/10 3:28 pm
If your don't want malabsorption, why are you considering DS?

Stacey      HW 440, SW 245, GW 130             
gigi _
on 5/30/10 8:01 pm, edited 5/30/10 8:03 pm - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Well, first off both the VSG and the DS are much better than RNY.  Secondly, do you even have to speak with the surgeon to cancel the surgery?  Wouldn't you just speak to the receptionist?  If that is too difficult for you, just call during off hours and leave a voice mail. I definitely would NOT have a surgery with a surgeon who had already done a poor job just because I didn't want to hurt her feelings!  This is your life!!!

Now, the DS has been proven to provide both the most weight loss AND the best long term sustained weight loss, so my opinion is that you should just go for that to begin with.  BUT, it doesn't make sense to me that Dr Aceves is saying that if he can't make the sleeve small enough then he'll convert to DS.  The sleeve IS part of DS.

Anyway, the way I look at VSG and DS is:

Say you love designer clothes (food)  and you have the choice of shopping at two upscale stores for the rest of your life, but you have a budget (calories) and both stores carry the same clothes.

You will pay full price for those wonderful clothes at Store VSG.

At Store DS:
Designer Shoes (fats) are discounted 80%
Designer Dresses (Proteins) are discounted 40%
Designer Shirts & Pants (Complex Carbs) are discounted 40%
Unfortunately Designer Jewelry (Simple Carbs like sugar)  is still full price

Now, which store, VSG or DS, are you going to shop at? *grin*

Best of luck to you!
thenecklacelady
on 5/30/10 8:26 pm, edited 5/30/10 11:08 pm
 That is a really great analogy!  I had to chuckle at the "full price" simple carbs!  I'll be thinking of this totally post-op, you can believe it!  I know for a fact that I have to avoid simple carbs.  I stopped eating them after my first surgery and haven't eaten them yet!  But.... I have only lost 1/2 of my EW and can't seem to get the other half off... even at 1200 Cals a day and burning 600 at the gym daily.  So frustrating!  I know I need more restriction to lose the EW.  

One of the reasons I'm going to Dr. Aceves is that he totally sees a DS for me as a possibility and my original surgeon absolutely positively did NOT.  

Thanks so much for your input!

Edit:

I just did it.  I called and cancelled the appointment on the answering machine.  I feel much better now!

d_big_journry
on 5/31/10 2:28 am
Glad all is good !  My daughter in a 7= year ry  healthy happy lost over 100lb  preggers with our 2nd grandbaby ;-)  Are surgerys are scary !  be healthy & happy smiles! 
Most Active