Feeling Sad and Mis-Informed!!!

glitterqueen
on 5/26/10 7:39 am - Waterville, ME
Had my appt. with Dr. Cobean today.  Prior to this appt. I was told the ONLY thing I needed to do prior to my surgeon appt. was to make sure that my insurance covered bariatric REVISION surgery (and it does.....I had a VBG in 2003).  Got another letter stating to bring my $500 deposit to this appt., we'd sign the necessary papers, and they'd be scheduling my surgery within 2-3 weeks.

Well, Dr. Cobean starts telling me that I need to have an endoscopy done, had to meet with a social worker, meet with a dietician, attend group support meetings, and that it's a 6 month  process before they schedule surgery.  The tears began to roll and I couldn't even speak.  This was completely opposite from what I was told and lead to believe.

I asked him WHY then....was I sent a letter stating that the ONLY thing I had to do prior to my surgeon appt. was to call my insurance and WHY I was also sent a letter asking me to bring the $500 deposit so I could schedule my surgery today.  He said that someone in the office had made a mistake and that I shouldn't have been sent those papers. 

So, my hopes for having revision surgery this summer were shot down. I am a teacher and taking time off during the school year is very hard.  We have a very strict superintendent who questions every day that we ask for a substitute.

Anyone else here who had a VBG and then a revision RNY?  If so, did you have to go through the process all over again??

Hugs,
Terri
Sincere10
on 5/26/10 8:56 am - Snellville, GA
Do you mind if I ask what type of Insurance that you have?  I think you should contact them directly to get a copy of the provisions. It may or may not help.

I know for my insurance, the requirements for a revision is very different than the requirements for a first time procedure (i.e., no medically supervised diet, etc).
gigi _
on 5/26/10 11:01 am, edited 5/26/10 11:02 am - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
First, I'm really sorry that you feel let down and sad.  I've often been where you are and I know how frustrating and maddening it is.

From your post, the first letter kind of makes sense.  It's just telling you what you had to do before you SAW the surgeon.  It's the SECOND letter that appears to be a terrible, misleading error.  IF the 6 month waiting period is not a requirement of your insurance, you could consider seeing a different surgeon, BUT, I don't know  if you'd still be able to get in this summer.  However, it's definitely worth checking out.

More importantly, I think, I have to ask you if you've considered revising to DS instead of RNY?  It has been proved to be the most effective long term weight loss solution - much better than RNY.

Please take 20 or so minutes and read about it on DSFACTS.COM.  Also, right here on the revisions board, you can read about RNYers who are revising to DS.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!
shele
on 5/26/10 9:12 pm
Please, research the ds as the best revision choice!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mrlddst
on 5/27/10 4:21 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Did he know that you were a revision? I would definitely check with the insurance carrier before proceeding.
Valerieb09
on 5/27/10 3:47 pm, edited 5/27/10 3:48 pm - Seacoast, NH
He's making you jump thru hoops like you are 1st time patient.  I'd look for another surgeon...it sounds like he isn't comfortable doing a revision?
My surgeon revised me from a lapband to a RNY and didn't have to do any of that. It only took me a few months but I was already his patient too. And he does other doctor's patients too...if you want to consider him...he is a damn good surgeon...he has patients from all over New England.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

P.S. Insurance will cover a revision if it is "medically necessary".

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/10 11:59 am - Bayonne, NJ
Seriously, look into the DS instead of RNY, or you might be disappointed down the road.

Most insurance companies will cover a revision from a VBG because it's a failed surgery. They won't even cover that procedure anymore. It gets covered as a mechanical failure and you don't need to jump through the 6 month hoop, although BCBS made me do part of it anyway.
Most Active