Revision: EMERGENCY

dawn1234
on 5/26/10 1:08 am
Hi all,

It has been awhile since I posted on Obesity help. I will make my WLS history short n sweet. I had a VBG in 1997 with a cholestectomy. Developed vomiting issues that lasted for years and was revised in 2005 to a RNY. Post op RNY, spleen bled into abdominal cavity, caused an abcess, collaped my left lung and a ruptured stomach pouch and left me on tube feeds for almost 11 weeks. At the beginning of April of 2010 I started having serious pain in the mid to right upper quadrant of the abdomen. ER ran the standard abdominal blood work series and found out that my liver function panel was 400% higher than normal (AST/4300 and ALT/2700). I was started on pain meds and instructed to see my PCP, who ended running every known lab to diagnosis liver related diseases...Hep. ABC, HIV, Lupus, and rare genetic related diseases. Everything came back negative! I in the mean time was still experiencing pain and have to go to the ER. After the 3rd ER visit in less than 3 weeks, my PCP scheduled me for a ERCP, which they were unsuccessful in perfoming. Luckily, my 3rd CT scan showed that my enteroanatamosis was dialated and so were the several loops of the small bowel. Ended up having emergency surgery to correct the anatamosis and actually had both anatamosis redone along with a section of my small bowel removed. They were able to do a ERCP during the surgery and found that due to the high pressures with my bowels that my spincter of oddi had totally closed, so they did a spincterotomy. I am nearly 2 weeks post op....sore but feeling like I have a fresh RNY....unable to drink alot and still on pureed foods.
So.....dont be afraid to seek help......it saved my liver and pancreas...and my life.
sosoclark
on 5/26/10 3:16 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time but glad that it was done on time. Thanks for the information and hope you feel better soon.

Sophia
d_big_journry
on 5/30/10 11:29 am
omg !  You are my hero.  That is scary stuff!!  I am 10 post op  banster to ry.  WOW  I feeling bad for complaining ! I woke up thinking omgoshhhhhhhhhhh  the first 48 hours I thought I would die!!  Best wishes take care.  How has your weight been on this roller ride !
dawn1234
on 5/30/10 11:30 pm
When I had the emergency surgery I was up to 190 lbs. (low after revision to gastric bypass was 139). I am only 2.5 weeks out and down over 20 lbs.
I hope that no one else has to endure that kind of pain....with all the revisions that they made to my small bowel the surgeon said he placed 1500 to 3000 staples!
I just wanted to post this to let others know that things like this can but very RARELY happen. Don't wait to seek treatment.....I at one point was told I may need a liver transplant! But post op all labs are back to normal! YEA and no pain!
Most Active