how long does it take for the insurance company to respond?

twinklet
on 5/23/10 4:11 am, edited 5/23/10 4:15 am - bronx, NY
I had a gastric bypass in 2004; I went from 314 to 165; since then i have gained 50lbs.  I had several test done and realized that something happened that is causing the food that i eat to empty out quickly which is why i am never full long.  My doctor suggested that i get the lap band over my pouch.  I had to see the nutrionist and psychologist over again.  i completed all the needed apointnents on 04/19/10; I was told that all I am waiting for is an approval from my insurance company.  I have been calling the doctors assistant and leaving multiple messages but heard no response.  I even called my insurance company and they stated they never received any request from my doctors office.  My doctor is Dr. Mitchell Roslin at Lenox Hill.

I have HIP HMO what should I do? how long does it take for an insurance company to give the doctors an answer? has anyone else had this problem?
missnanajean
on 5/23/10 9:58 pm - Friendswood, TX
I would suggest talking to the insurance person at the Dr. office. The Dr.assistant really has nothing to do with it. Some offices take their sweet time in getting things together. They may be waiting for the Dr. to write his statement of necessity also. I have Aetna PPO and the Care Manager at Aetna called me and told me I was approved in about a week.Then the Dr. office got mad because I knew before they did. All in good time things will fall into place and then you'll be excited and nervous at the same time.  In the mean time enjoy your favorite food possibly for the last time. Start taking vitaminsand practicing chewing food to mush consistancy .   You've waited this long you know the new life is around the corner so just be proactive and Breathe!
  Miss  Jean   
Most Active