New to this forum, not new in the Lap Band forum

snowloft
on 5/18/10 5:17 am - Peterborough, NH
Hello,

I received Lap Band surgery in 2008.  It was the larger version of the band, but I believe I have made an error in choosing the right WLS that will work best with me.  In order to have the Lap Band, I needed to lose 106 pounds first, to get my BMI below 60.  After 2 years, I am still at my surgical weight.

I'm actively pursuing revision surgery to switch from Lap Band to Gastric Bypass.  The process is underway.  My surgeon at Portsmouth Regional Hospital is planning to coordinate this surgery with Tufts Medical Center in Boston, and actually assist the primary surgeon there for the procedure.  I'll then be able to be cared for back up at Portsmouth.

I want to do this while I'm still somewhat young (43).  Too much of my life has been wasted trapped in this morbid obesity clown suit that so many people in the streets cannot help themselves but laugh and point at me.  I'm not looking to be a stud, or strut on the beach in a thong.  I want to be healthy, and live a long life with my wife, and to watch my daughter grow, and be there for her.  Right now, I'm simply a basketcase, too tired to even do things that I enjoy like playing guitar.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and say hello.  It looks like I am embarking on a second journey through WLS.  I'm abit afraid of having my "plumbing" rearranged, and am also afraid about complications and death.  But realistically, I am taking those same risks by keeping on this weight.

Michelle H.
on 5/18/10 5:37 am - Canada
Hello, I am really sorry to hear about the lapband failing you.

Have you researched all your surgery options? Have you checked out the information on the DS? Read www.dsfacts and stop by the DS board and ask some questions. There are many people over there who have revised to the DS. With your BMI as high as it is it seems to me that might be a better choice for you.

Good luck in your decision, just make sure that you research all your choices before you make your final decision.

Blessings
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

Chad M.
on 5/18/10 5:47 am - Indianapolis, IN
So your BMI is now just under 60? The RNY does not have a good track record for someone with a BMI in that range (it's where i started). You should consider the DS and make sure you research the results of both surgeries on people who start with a high BMI. Head to www.dsfacts.com

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Janine P.
on 5/18/10 6:06 am - Long Island, NY
Hi Friend.

My BMI was just under 60 when I went for a revision from a lap band.  I spoke with my doctor and he recommended the Duodenal Switch.  The Duodenal switch has a higher success rate for people who have a high BMI.  You lose more, and keep it off.  RNY'ers have a higher regain rate.

I urge you to please check out the DS board on ObesityHelp.com and to look at the DSFacts website that Chad suggested.  It's a fantastic surgery, but it's not as popular because it's very difficult to learn so not many surgeon's bother to perform it.

Best of luck to you!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

mlabeff
on 5/18/10 7:03 am
Hi,

I work for a Dr. who does weight loss surgery revisions. He offers both Gastric Bypass and Duodenal Switch. His website has helpfull insight on what may be the right option for you (http://www.weightlosssurgeon.com/surgical-weight-loss-dallas -fort-worth/weight-loss-surgery-revision).  Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or would like to recieve any additional education material.

Best to you
Debbie M.
on 5/18/10 9:49 am
I think it's really tacky that Dr. Stewart's office is trolling the boards looking for new business. Perhaps he should consider paying for advertising like other surgeons do.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/10 11:44 am

As far as I know you are not supposed to be posting here trying to drum up business for your employer.

Debbie M.
on 5/18/10 9:43 am, edited 5/18/10 9:45 am
Hi Snowloft -
Welcome to the board, it's nice to "meet you".  I see a lot of people have already posted about considering a DS over an RNY.  I had an RNY in 2002, started with a BMI of 54, I lost 175lbs, then within 3 years gained it all back. Unfortunately people with BMI's of over 50 have a 30% chance of regaining all of their weight with an RNY which I didn't know that at the time.  I remember back in 2002, the DS seemed so new and radical to me and actually scared me quite a bit.  Besides it's what my insurance covered and what the surgeon I liked did, didn't mean it was the right procedure which I learned the hard way.   After my failed RNY I started doing a ton of research on the different procedure and felt hands down the DS was right for ME.  I revised in February and am doing really well.  I don't feel like I'm dieting, don't have to worry about when and when not to drink something, don't have to worry about dumping or chronic diarrhea that I had, I hated living with that stupid pouch and am so glad it's gone.
It's all a personal choice/decision that you have to be comfortable with.  I hope you'll at least talk to an experienced DS surgeon by phone if nothing else and ask the tough questions, it'll be worth the time, you only want to cut once.
Best of luck in your journey.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/10 11:47 am

Sorry to hear that your lap-band did not work out.   I have had great results from my band as a revision after an old VBG in /87.

With your BMI though I strongly suggest you also look into the DS which offers great results. Good luck with whatever you revise to.

mlabeff
on 5/18/10 11:56 pm
Sorry,

I did not want it to seem that way. From what I understood he was straddling the fence on which way to go. I thought that some educational material would help him make his decision.  To me, it's all about the patient! I don't care what doctor does his surgery! But, as far as education I would be happy to help anyone.  Plans fail for lack of councel but with many advisers they succeed.  Proverbs 15 : 22
Most Active