I want the truth and nothing but...

mari_juma
on 5/15/10 10:36 pm - United Arab Emirates
I had my lap band removed a month ago and of course gained 1kg per week. My doctors are looking into revising me to a by pass. It wasn't able to be done with the removal due to really bad damage to my esophagus, they wanted me to heal.

What I want to know is, what is it really like to revise to a by pass? I want to know what life is like right after the surgery and for the next months to come. I don't want anyone to sugar coat it. I want the truth!

Nicki88
on 5/17/10 2:51 am
Just curious...why did you have it removed?  Im about to have my band removed and want to know what to expect?  Was the recovery the same?  How long until you were able to eat and drink normally again?
mari_juma
on 5/17/10 3:26 am - United Arab Emirates
It's a really long story, firstly: I've had the band for 7 yrs. 3 yrs down the line I started getting reflux and sleep regurgitation. I got filled and unfilled for 4 years and nothing worked. Nobody could figure out why after an unfill I would get tight again. Like I said, 4 years down the line I finally found a doctor who would help me and within a week I was having surgery. I couldn't have an immediate revision because of the amount of scarring that had to be removed and my esophagus was horribly dilated. Secondly: the recovery was not the same, I was in extreme pain. The same day of surgery they started feeding me tiny amounts of chicken broth and water. I was told to eat mush the next day and then the following day I could start on food, it actually took me a week to eat normal food, about 2 weeks to really get my appetite back. I tell you though, once I got my appetite back I haven't been able to control it. I've gained 6 lb in 6 weeks. I have actually been holding myself back but I think I gave up these past 2 weeks. Probably in September, God willing, I'll try to get a by-pass.

I hope I answered your questions. Good luck on your journey and please look me up and let me know how you are doing.
Nicki88
on 5/17/10 4:19 am
Thank you for all the info.  Im curious when you eat now do you get nervous like it may get stuck?  I just wonder what it will be like when I can take a bite of food and not worry about getting sick from it.  My dr. told me I will need to be on a soft food diet for a week.  So I had to research what a soft food diet even was...lol!  I guess I can have eggs and pudding, potatoes, etc.  I hope they provide something other than broth and jello at the hospital!

Good luck on your surgery!  Dont be too upset with yourself over the weight gain.  Once that band is out you lose that back up!
Most Active