rny revision to ds

pandavenise
on 5/14/10 3:24 pm
I have a lap band and am thinking about a revision to either rny or ds. I am wondering why so many revisions are from rny to ds. I don't think my dr does ds and now I am concerned about going to rny if it doesn't work. Any input  to me about this I would appericate. I wondering why everyone is having revision from ryn.
Debbie M.
on 5/15/10 7:56 am, edited 5/15/10 10:41 am

In my personal opinion the reason there are so many RNY to DS revisions is because there is an expodential amount of RNY patients compared to DS'rs. The reason for that is because it's the surgery most surgeons know and what insurance easily approves.  Doesn't necessarily mean it's the best or right surgery for everyone.  The worst thing anyone can do is agree to a surgery because it's what insurance covers versus really researching what you can live with.  I made that mistake.  I had an RNY in 2002, weighed 350lbs, got down to 175, then went back up to 350.  I had chronic diarrhea and found out years later that there is a 30% chance of regain with people who have BMI's greater than 50. 
So in February I revised from an RNY to DS and my life is so much better.  I have restriction from the sleeve, I don't dump, I don't have diarrhea, I can eat like a human and don't feel like I'm dieting all the time, and I've got malabsorption on my side.  Go to www.dsfacts.com and learn more about it and compare the 2 procedures.  Figure out what's best for  you.
Good luck during your journey,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

pandavenise
on 5/16/10 11:43 am
Thank you for your input. I was worried about diarrhea from the ds.. Everyones body's are different so I guess you really don't know what is going to happen until you have  had your surgery. I am worried about weight gain back. I am at  220 and am 5'5''. My doctor has never done ds so I  will probably be seeing another doctor for options. My doctor has a great bedside manner but feel his office falls a little short on guidance before and after the surgery. I have had a hard time with the lap band I don't do too well with it. Last time I had a fill I kept throwing up and have gained weight back to my begining weight. It will be a year in July. Thanks again.
linca966
on 6/1/10 9:53 am
Hello Debbie,
I had an RNY in 2001 and weighed 378 lbs.  I got down to 239 lbs. and have since regained to 326 lbs.  I have researched far and wide and want to get a revision done to go from the RNY to a DS.  I read your post and would love to ask you some specific things about your revision surgery.  Please email me at [email protected].  May I ask who was your surgeon and what hospital did you have your surgery in?  
Thank You very much,
Linda C.
Debbie M.
on 6/1/10 11:01 am
Hi Linda,
Please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.  I had Dr. Keshishian and he performed the surgery in Glendale, CA.
It's good that you're checking into this before you gain any more weight, I waited longer than I should have, started from the beginning all over again.
But, that's the way it goes, it's done, behind me and I'm on my way down for the LAST time!
Take care,
Debbie M.

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

linca966
on 6/3/10 12:30 pm
Hi Debbie,
Thank you so much for the name of your surgeon.  I have done a lot of research in the last two months and it seems like there are about three doctors in the country who actually do the complete revision by undoing the RNY and then doing a complete DS.  I have contacted Dr K's office in Glendale and am waiting for a call back with an appointment date.  I live in Georgia and will have to fly there for the initial visit and then I will go back for surgery when I get a date.  May I ask where you live?  Did you have to go long distance? 
I don't know what PM means...so I am replying here if that's okay.  I would love to hear any details about your surgery that you would be willing to share.  I spoke to Lupe in the office yesterday and I hope to hear from them soon.  I am totally self pay and so I hope to be able to get a surgery date asap.  It's a heck of an expense but as you and I know, whatever it takes to just feel sort of normal again!!
Thanks again for your time,
Linda
[email protected]

Debbie M.
on 6/4/10 11:06 pm

Hi Linda,
PM means private message.  If you go to the blue bar on top of the page to MY OH you can follow along to messages and send them to each other, it's just more private. But I'm fine writing you here. 

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and drove 5-6 hours each way to see Dr. K.  I was also self pay, so understand what you're going through.  It was worth every penny and I have no regrets. My surgery went well, I had no complications.  The procedure was 3 hours long.  Recovery was really hard, while I was functional, I felt like crap for 6 weeks.  The upside of that is when you start feeling good, you really feel amazing.

I ordered a copy of my operative report and he gave me a 50cm common channel because I have so much weight to lose.  I started at 358 preop and am down to 267 in 31/2 months.  I'm going through the process of losing my hair, started a few weeks ago, just like when I had the RNY, I will be glad when it stops.

I had 3 month labs done a few weeks ago and am having to up my iron and B12 supplements.  Also have to up my protein.  It's important you're diligent about that.

Dr. K's office is good about working with out of state patients.  When I went down for surgery, just went a day earlier so I could do all of my preop stuff the day before.  It worked out well.  I think you'll be very happy with Dr. K, my experience has been that he's an amazing surgeon with a great bedside manner and is wonderful to work with.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Debbie M.

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/10 11:32 am - Bayonne, NJ
I'm an RNY to DS revision. I had trouble keeping food down with my RNY, due to placement of a ring on the stoma, and I never completely lost the weight. I revised to the DS, which pretty much requires a low-carb diet, because it has a better success rate and I can eat more normally. I can get in all my protein from food sources, whereas with RNY I was constantly throwing up. It's great having my duodenum back, too. No more dumping syndrome and I can take nsaids.

pandavenise
on 5/16/10 11:46 am
Thank you for answering some questions I had. I  have had a hard time with the lap band because I can't keep food down also. I was thinking that I might have the same problem with rny. I will keep looking into both surgerys. Thanks again
linca966
on 6/1/10 9:56 am
Hello,
May I ask who did your surgery from an RNY to DS?  I need to find a surgeon for mine.
Thanks, Linda
[email protected]

Most Active