Revision:

atxnana2
on 5/13/10 4:54 am - Rome, NY
I just wanted to see if anyone knew , if Medicare would cover a revision.?
Please if someone could help , I called Medicare but the lady did'nt know. I am so ashamed of myself for sabotaging myself. I am having some of my old medical problems once again . And Please dont judge me if you will
Thanks

JROLFSON
on 5/13/10 6:07 am - St. George, UT
If anyone judges you on this site they should be dammed...

This is a revision site the place you go for the information you need regarding revision. We are all here because of one reason or another but it all amounts to weight gain...Do not put yourself down or belittle yourself for the surgery failure...It is quite possible that it is a failed surgery and you are not the one whose failed!

I have heard of Medicare covering revisions in many cases...There are a lot of people on this site I have read about that have had revisions and been covered fully by Medicare...Check into it girl and make sure you do a lot of research to get the best revision to cover you for the rest of your life, revisions are not fun and the weight loss is usually slower the second time around...

Good Luck,

Janie
atxnana2
on 5/13/10 6:32 am - Rome, NY
Thank you so much Janie,
I couldnt get any info from Medicare or the Dr Im going to an informational meeting. The Drs. office didnt know and Medicare said your Dr will know. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Not sure where to do the research though. But will figure it out hopefully,  I live in upstate NY so thank you very much for the help
Carol

pandavenise
on 5/13/10 7:17 am
Please don't be hard on yourself. I am going through the same thing I have a lap band and have failed with it so I am considering a revision to ryn . I have medicare and my doctor has said they will cover it. They don't cover the seleve though. I had to do 3 mths diet with my doctor before my lap band and since March they have changed some of the rules now you have to have 6 mths diet journal with the doctor before surgery. So since I have already done three I only have to have 3mths. I will be done in July. You have to see a nutritionist also. My doctors office is very good about the insurance so I feel pretty confindient with them. You have to have a bmi with at least 35 and two problems medicaly. I believe a bmi 40 or more you don't have to  have any thing else wrong.  Good luck and hang in there. I felt like a faliure until I went to the revision site and understand this much more.
aqtnsc
on 5/13/10 11:47 pm
Yes, Medicare does cover revisions. I am having a RNY to DS revision with Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey. Medicare covers 80%. I had to have pulmonary clearance, cardiology clearance, psychological clearance, nutritional consult. Also, I had to have nutrtional documentation that showed that I continuously attempted to lose weight. I obtained this from the nutritionist that I went to when I had my RNY in 2007. I hope that this helps. Best of luck to you!

btw; different doctors have different requirements for Medicare to approve the revision. I have discussed what Dr. Greenbaum required. I was approved within a month. I do not know what other doctors that accept Medicare require.
pam_b
on 5/14/10 1:41 pm
Yes Medicare does cover revisions. Dr. Greenbaum will be doing my revision also.
He required everything that aqntsc said. I have to do a 6 month diet with a nutritionist
because I can't prove my weight loss attempts. Everything requires a frickin paper trail!!!
sghatl
on 5/23/10 4:06 pm, edited 5/23/10 4:06 pm - Lilburn, GA
Medicare paid for my revision.  Don't be so hard on yourself.

BTW, I am in love with my revision.  I am able to eat again.  I lived on a very soft diet for the past two years with the lap band.  It was successfull as far as weight loss goes but I couldn't live with the reflux anymore.  I didn't eat raw fruit or vegetables for over two years and I really missed it.  In fact, I could hardly eat cooked vegetables either.  The seeds in squash bothered me and the skins of everything came back up.  I am now able to eat anything and everything I have tried.  I don't do sugar or sweets though.
Total Weight Loss Journey since 02/07

lap band  12/06/07                  Shirley
revision to RNY 04/06/10 (w167)
H335/S(LB)268/S(GP)167/C148/145 
atxnana2
on 5/23/10 9:27 pm - Rome, NY
Thank you very much, I hope they will pay for me a revision. Like you eat mostly soft foods easy to go down guess you would call them slider foods Seems like every thing gets stuck and has to come back up. like you cant do veggies and fruit with peels no way I got deathly sick from eating a tangerine. And no way veggies.Oh yes the acid reflux and heart burn it is awful take nexium and dont do a thing.  Well heres wishing me luck I go to Syracuse for a informational meeting Tues. and from there dont know . Thanks for the info
Most Active