No revision if original surgeon is still practicing??

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/10 6:57 am
Has anyone ever heard of this. I called a local surgeon today to inquire about a revision since I am 11mths out and am nowhere near where I thought I would be 11 mths ago. Anywho, I was told by the dr's office that all insurances tend to deny a revision if the surgeon who did your surgery is still practicing. What a crock, I thought.

Wondering for those of you out there who have been 'revised' was this an issue for you? If so, how did you handle it?
JustLookingToo
on 5/11/10 10:54 am - AL
That's sort of crazy. I read these boards a lot, and I've never heard that before. My original surgeon is still practicing. I have the same insurance now that I had for my original surgery. They covered me for a revision with my new surgeon. I think I'd see a different surgeon if I were you. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding by a new employee at the surgeon's office or something? Not sure, but I don't think there is any truth to it. Good luck! 
Monique H.
on 5/12/10 1:16 am

Definitely look for a different surgeon and make sure that surgeon does ALL types of surgeries. You don't want someone to steer you in the wrong direction because it is the only surgery THEY do opposed to what is an option of having done. I don't want to say anything about what type of revision for you to look for because I haven't had the one that I'm trying to get, but make sure you do your research and find out which one you feel you'll do the best with.

I listened to others as they talked about distal rny and extended rny (erny) and jumped on board, not fighting for ds which I really felt would be best for me. Well guess what? I'm now trying to get another revision to ds!!

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
ginau
on 5/12/10 3:40 am - mesa, AZ
New one to me.  I do know that a lot of insurance programs will not approve revision surgery untill  you are 2 years out.  there may be some other criteria they look at as well.

So your 11 months out and your not doing as well as you thought ?  dont fret yet. there are a lot of things to look at.  

May I suggest a heart to heart talk with your Dr .  make sure to  journal everything your eating and doing - so they  can see any area's that you might want to change/ alter.

My journey has been long - I am still on my path ...  I have faced bumps and hurdles

the one thing I will say is dont do a second surgery  until you have done everything else. while I dont regret my revision - they weight comes off slower.   so if your looking for a quick fix - it's not !

Good Luck on your journey.

*** Oh  - when I asked my surgeon office to have a copy of my records sent to another Dr  - they fired me from their practice - for getting a second opinion - NICE !

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

StacysMom
on 5/13/10 5:14 am
 *** Oh  - when I asked my surgeon office to have a copy of my records sent to another Dr  - they fired me from their practice - for getting a second opinion - NICE !

Gina, THAT really sucks!   Was it Schlesinger or Blackstone who did that?
ginau
on 5/13/10 5:40 am - mesa, AZ

Blackstone !!

maybe she did me a big favor. I am happy with my revision and have very few  "issue's" that some revisioners have. 

I am down an additional 100 lbs + since.  and If I work my tool I still loose  2-4 lbs a month.  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

StacysMom
on 5/13/10 3:00 pm
 Glad to hear you're doing well.   The last time you posted losses, it was only around 40-50 lbs or so.   Girl ... you need to update your signature line!!   It still says 181 pounds left and counting, from way back when you had only lost the 40-50 lbs from your revision.   Ya gotta add another 50 lbs to that number.   And, how about some new pics??  You need to show off your success!!  LOL   
Most Active