What should I do?

zetabeans
on 5/9/10 4:43 am - Atlanta, GA
In August of 2009 my lap-band was removed during a surgery that was supposed to fix a floating port and take a look at the inside of my stomach. When they got the scope in my stomach they found that my band was 70% inside my stomach.

Since then I have gone from 178 lbs at my lowest back up to 204 lbs the largest weight gain since janurary when I stopped having pain or discomfort if I ate a normal size food portion.

I want to go and see my surgeon and ask them WTF? I work out with a trainer 5 days per week I measure my food, but the more the scale goes up the more I feel like a complete failure and the more the eating gets out of control.

I really want my lap-band back, but I am afraid of having to have it removed after 2 year again and I am also afraid of having a bypass...
What should I do... any suggestions?
mew6495
on 5/9/10 5:22 am - MI
 Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.

Have you considered another type of WLS/revision or is this not an option for you?  There are several out there as I am sure you are probably aware.  If you are not looking for the malabsorption component there is the sleeve to consider or go the whole way for the DS which I hear gets good long term results for most or even the distal RNY may give you better results then your band did.

I would recommend doing some further research into your options.  Make sure it is your decision and not based on others opinions and consult with 3 or so revision experts in the field.  

Good luck to you.  I know how frustrating weight gain can be, especially when you trying everything you can to take the weight off.

MEW

Mosley
on 5/9/10 8:53 am
I had a band that slipped.  I never lost the weight with the band.  I took phentermine with the band and that was temporarily successful.  After one year of failure the band was removed.  To be honest I wanted another band but my surgeon said they are very often not succesful the second time after a first time failure and recommended RNY.  I was very scared of RNY too but decided to go ahead with it.  When he went in to do the RNY there was extensive damage from the band and he had to do alot of scar removal and part of the stomach had to be removed.  I am three weeks out.  So hopefully this will be succesful for me.  I have not had any complications so far.  So I cant advise you what to do..just telling you my experience.  Good luck with any decision you make.
zetabeans
on 5/9/10 10:52 am - Atlanta, GA
Thank You both. I am really frustrated and I feel abandoned by my surgeon now that I no longer have a band... they just keep pushing me at the groups and the nutritionist. I workout more in one week than half the people in the group have since they have had their surgeries.

I feel like I am back on the roller coaster I was on before I got the band. I just want to reach my goal weight and stay there. I am not afraid of the exercise or the eating restrictions, but I see the weight is coming back with each passing month.
mrlddst
on 5/9/10 11:08 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I'm going through the same thing, literally. I am considering the VSG revision but I have to get my insurance to approve it. My doctor doesn't want to reband me and I don't want the RNY. In the meantime, I see a nutrionist, workout and have reduced my calories. I have regained about 30lbs. It sucks!!
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/10/10 6:21 am
If you were good with the band - how about a sleeve?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Zee Starrlite
on 5/10/10 7:39 am
After an erosion, a Lap Band is a pretty bad choice.  You'd find a surgeon to do it but your fear of having it removed again will more than likely be a reality.

Have you looked into the  Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy? http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

Good Luck with everything

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

USAF Wife
on 5/11/10 12:33 am
I would recommend checking out the VSG (sleeve). I had similar issues that you had, but it only took 8 months for me to get the band out.

The sleeve has been fabulous, and there is no way I would have another band. I didn't want RNY either, and chose the sleeve because I knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me.

Good luck in your research, and if you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active