RNY to Gastric Sleeve

shirley denmark
chitjian

on 5/8/10 5:14 am - Belton, TX
Hey Everyone,
I had a revision from rny to sleeve.. long story... best for me.... Anyways, came home after 8 days and then on 2nc day home my left leg hurt so much I could barely walk, my doc said oh probably some pinching on ur bursa nerve.. Go home.. then yesterday leg swollen even more.. cant hardly walk.. go ER.. they had already done 2 ultra for blood clots.. nothing... Then I wake up next morning standing in kitchen and my stiches start spewing out blood and leakage.... back to doctor....

Now, my biggest question for ya'll is this liquids thing... I can BARELY get done 1 protein shake and they want me to drink 3..... everything tastr bad...I am basically sipping protein and water....

My left leg is swollen because of the drainage... so that's on the mend.....

I am also very tired... cant even do my exercising or walking.... I swear I am wondering if this
was all worth it... I mean I only have 60 pounds to loose.... already lost 25 in 2 weeks.......

Next week I start soft foods... cant wait..maybe those will taste better....

Any others out there with RNY TO SLEEVE? would love to her about ur surgery...
DenDragonfly
on 5/9/10 2:39 am
Why did you go from RNY to sleeve? I'm scheduled to go from band to RNY and I have 60 lbs to lose and am afraid of diarrhea and gas as well as potential hair loss. Did you experience any of these side effects and would you do it again? 
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/10 7:57 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had RNY, and now a DS. The hair loss is temporary. Best thing to do is make sure you're taking a lot of vitamins including B Complex and biotin before surgery. I'm now almost 5 months out from the DS revision, and the hair loss is slowing considerably.

I got gas with RNY (and with my DS) from eating foods with lactose, and carbohydrates. If I stick to a low-carb diet I get no gas.
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/10 8:00 am - Bayonne, NJ
I went from RNY to a DS, with a sleeve. I had trouble in the beginning, too. My doctor said to work up to the protein. I hated the taste of most of the protein shakes, and settled on the Syntrax nectar. They mix easily in water and I felt I could drink them much more quickly. Also, they're zero carb, so they didn't add any weight at all.

You have to drink a lot of fluids to get your body to release that excess water, but if you experience more leg paid I'd get another opinion. Hang in there, it does get easier. By 4 weeks out I was eating decent amounts and getting in all my fluids.

It feels like it isn't worth it in the beginning, but it is. When they redid your RNY to a sleeve, did they completely reattach the stomach before the conversion? Do you have your duodenum back?
shirley denmark
chitjian

on 5/9/10 9:45 am - Belton, TX
I am not sure about the reattachment or duodenum but I will ask on my post op visit on weds... is that important? what is the reasoning behind it?

thanks
shirley
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/10 9:54 am - Bayonne, NJ
With a gastric sleeve, you get a fully functioning stomach back, and they remove the curvature where the ghrelin is made.

With RNY, the duodenum is bypassed, and you don't absorb stuff the same way.
A B.
on 5/9/10 11:12 pm - Abilene, TX
So sorry you have had such a tough go of things... Pray you will overcome the physical troubles soon and began to reap the benefits of having gone through your revision.......... Wanted to ask if you had considered any other form of revision? I realize there are several other options. Was yours the preferred method by Dr. Provost? I am asking all of this , because I'm looking into having an Revision to have the "Pleats" put into my pouch. "stomphyx" excuse spelling of it. but have not read many positive reviews on this forum....
NahNah
shirley denmark
chitjian

on 5/10/10 12:04 am - Belton, TX
it was the best option for me considering my previous medical history. i have not heard good things about the pleating because the bottom line is the malabsorption and eating carbs over protein.

good luck
Most Active