Open Revision

lbaa
on 5/8/10 4:02 am - MA
I am scheduled to have revision from a band to bypass on 05/24 (assuming I pass the anesthesiologist exam Monday). I am terrified to have this surgery for two reasons, one because I hae always beem opposed to bypass and two because my surgery is being done open due to the fact that he is removing my band, repairing a hiatal hernia and removed my gall bladder. He believes that it wil bee much safer and cleaner to do open.

Unfortunately my insurance does not cover DS or Sleeve and I do not have the kind of money to pay for the other. Even with my insurance coverage I will still need to pay approximately $2,000.00 out of pocket.

Anyway, has anyone has something done open? What am I in for?
Michelle H.
on 5/8/10 11:17 am - Canada
Don't jump in to something you don't feel comfortable with or something you don't want. If you want the DS then appeal your surgery. Dianna Cox is a great help with doing appeals. Go over to the DS board and ask questions. There have been many people over there who have insurance that do not cover the DS however they have gotten approval.

Take the time and research all your options... you don't want to have to revise again in a few years because you are not happy with the decision to have an RNY.
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

emjayel56
on 5/10/10 3:49 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

I had a revision from band to bypass last year.  They were very concerned that with all of the scar tissue I had (I had 3 prior surgeries... 2 lapbands and 1 hiatel hernia repair) that I would have to be done open and could possibly have complications.  Like you I was petrified.  My surgeon was wonderful... he did it laparascopically and have not had any complications.  I feel great and wish I would have done the bypass years ago.  Good luck to you; you'll be fine.

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

MsBatt
on 5/12/10 8:35 am
My DS was done open, and it really wasn't any more painful than the lap hernia repair I had about 18 months later.
Most Active