POUCH TO SMALL FOR REVISION- HELP!!!

dslim37
on 5/5/10 9:44 am - san antonio, TX
WAS TOLD BY MY SURGEON MY STOMACH POUCH WAS TOO SMALL FOR A REVSION.  tHEN WHY AM I ABLE TO EAT MORE?  WHY HAVE I GAINED ALMOST 80 LBS IN 3 YRS?  I HAD MY GASTRIC BYPASS I***** 16 YRS AGO- FIRST 12-13 YRS I MAINTAINED A GREAT WT, WAS ACTIVE, ETC.

I AM IN SAN ANTONIO, TX AND NEED SOME ADVICE AND A DOCTOR TO HELP ME

DEE
kjfras
on 5/6/10 12:44 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Dee - 

My pouch has only stretched a little and I still have decent restriction however my stoma has stretched so anything I eat immediately dumps into my intestines so I am always hungry!  I also know that the reason I've gained so much weight back is I no longer have malabsorption so when I was looking into a lapband over bypass option that would not have been successful for me. 

I've decided to revise to a DS whose main component is malabsoprtion with still restriction because they make your pouch into a sleeve.  I really suggest you head over to the DS Forum and read about the success they've had over there. 

I am waiting on my final approval from my insurance company for me DS as we speak...

As far as DS surgeons you want to go to one who has the most experience with RNY to DS revisions (if this is the surgery YOU choose!! ) which the only four that consistently come up are Dr.Keshishian (CA), Dr.Greenbaum (NJ), Dr.John Rabkin (CA)and Dr Husted (KY I believe) as well as out of country Dr.Marchisini in Brazil.

I wish you luck - remember, where there is a will there is a way!!!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Monique H.
on 5/6/10 12:59 am
Even though I haven't had it done yet I truly believe the ds is the way to go. There are other alternatives as well like revising to a distal or extended rny. I do believe that if your surgeon only said that the stomach was too small for revision that maybe he or she doesn't do revisions if they never mentioned any of the above things. I truly hope you find a surgeon in the area that is able to assist you.
Best Wishes,
Monique
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/10 2:32 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised to the DS from RNY. They reattached everything and then converted it over. I'm losing, things are going well, and this is what I should have done in the first place. The long-term weight loss maintenance is much better.
vitalady
on 5/6/10 5:22 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I agree that if your doc didn't offer choices, he may not DO those choices.

I have a small pouch AND the intestinal portion of a DS.

But since you're a 1994, what are the chances that your staple line is disrupted.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

daisylou1976
on 5/6/10 10:18 am - , Canada
On May 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time, vitalady wrote:
I agree that if your doc didn't offer choices, he may not DO those choices.

I have a small pouch AND the intestinal portion of a DS.

But since you're a 1994, what are the chances that your staple line is disrupted.

Vitalady,

Hi, I had a VBG back in 1998 and I am trying to get a revision, how does one know if they do have a staple line disruption?  Would you feel it?  It seems like it would hurt as it was happening.  Is just being able to eat more food the only way (without a scope) that you can tell if you may have one?

Thanks for your info :)

mew6495
on 5/7/10 10:22 am - MI
 Your advice is always awesome Michelle.  You give it without emotion, judgement and approach each post sensibly.  THANK YOU for sharing your wisdom!  It is appreciated.

Most Active